Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it bad to constantly disconnect and reconnect an ext HD?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I have a laptop with a 160GB SSD. A month ago, I put a spare 320gb 2.5" drive into a USB enclosure I had. I've been using it to store nothing but movies/TV shows (it was about 85% full). This laptop is my only computer and I take it to work with me every day. This has me unplugging the USB HD in the morning and plugging it back in every evening. When I plugged the drive in yesterday, I was warned that the disk was somehow damaged. Disk repair wouldn't work and I ended up able to access less than half of what was on the drive. I did some research and I was told that constant connecting/disconnecting can lead to problems. If that is the case, what do other users recommend for someone who takes their laptop with them? Should I get an external with an AC adapter and just leave it on 24 hours a day? Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Is it bad to constantly disconnect and reconnect an ext
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:47 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Sounds to me like you didn't use the Safely Remove Hardware feature; found in the system tray, before you unplugged the drive. If you unplug the drive without using this feature you can damage data on the drive, and make it not recognizable when you plug it back in.

I have a "My Book" that has been plugged in and unplugged many times and I have never had a problem, same goes for my USB stick. If you think about it, what the hell good is a removable device if you can't remove it? :mrgreen:

Nasty

Post subject: Re: Is it bad to constantly disconnect and reconnect an ext
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Constantly connecting/disconnecting to the computer is not a problem, as long as you either go through the "Safely remove" step or know the disk is not writing anything or servicing any programs.

Constantly powering it on and off might be an issue though.