Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't Find HD Drivers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Just bought a Seagate Barracuda 500gig drive and it says I need to get SATA host drivers for it to be compatible. Why can't this shit be easy??? It says I need to get it off the CD that came with my motherboard....the mobo I bought 3 years ago which I can't find.

I went to ASUS website but don't know what to download. Is it a BIOS flash? ROM image? Seagate website has nothing. What can I do? Running Win7, ASUS M4A79 Deluxe board with AMD Phenom 3.2. Staring at Win7 install screen asking me for SATA drivers.

Post subject: Re: Can't Find HD Drivers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:18 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Does the box say that, or does Windows say that? Because if Windows isn't complaining and sees the drive just fine, then you don't need to do anything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:24 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Windows sees all of my drives including the new one, when I hit the Next button I get the message "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets it's criteria for installation".

Google search took me to Microsoft site and one of the remedies is to update hard disk controllers. Don't know how. I downloaded the latest BIOS ROM image from ASUS for my mobo, that's all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

How did you install and format? AHCI? Are you on x58 board with a 1366 socket chip? You may need Intel ICHR driver. What is your board make and model?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Quote:
Method 3: Provide the correct drivers for the hard disk controller
If you are trying to perform a clean installation of Windows, you must provide the correct drivers for the hard disk controller. When you are prompted to select the disk on which to install Windows, you must also click to select the Load Driver option. Windows Setup will guide you through the rest of the process.

You're going to have to find something like your motherboard's RAID drivers, or something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:35 am 
Team Member
Team Member

If you are in the preinstall environment then you are going to have to extract the drivers and do the F6 instal method, but here is a link to your drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:32 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

This shit is easy. Win7 (and Vista) has the drivers built in. Stop sweating it.

If you are RAIDing which it doesn't look like you are then you may have to download the RAID driver from AMD(better) or ASUS, but the driver should be present in Win7 (as are VIA's, nVidia's and Intel's RAID drivers).

If not RAIDing, set to AHCI in BIOS and partition/quick format the drive in Disk Manager. Done.

Last edited by FascistNation on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:23 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Post the make and model of the motherboard and I/we can send you to the proper driver. It is asking for the SATA driver which you need to show win7 upon win install. They provide a driver button then point to the usb stick you have it on and it will be installed as you load windows. If it is not loaded look in Device manager and see if any drivers are missing...I am betting the sata driver is missing.

If the drive is in disk management just do what FascistNation said and you should be good. If it is not in disk management you have to load the sata driver.

Nasty