Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Random freezing and boot issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:47 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Kind of funny that I'm seeking help for something that I usually help other people with, but here I am.
For few months now my Windows 7 x64 PC (Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, i7 930, 12 GB RAM, OCZ Agility 2 120 GB drive, multiple HDDs in RAID) has been doing BSOD during boot or just completely freezing while I'm in Windows.
Worse part is that it happens so randomly, once or twice in a week...
When it Blue-screens during boot, message flashes so fast that I can't read it. I even tried recording it with my phone, but so far couldn't catch it on camera.
I stopped overclocking (was at 3.2 Ghz) and change all settings to defaults.
I reinstalled Windows from scratch and updated firmware on SSD drive.
I ran Memtest for couple of hours and tested graphic's card memory as well.
PSU was a suspect so I replaced it today, and computer froze after few hours. So I can eliminate that.
Video card is kind of suspect, because issues started to happen approximately after I got Radeon HD 6800 but I can't be sure. Can Video card be causing something like this? I mean when windows Freezes, I can see both screens (dual monitors), but clock stops, mouse is not moving and it's dead in the water, no BSOD, no reboot...
What else can I do? I was thinking about replacing CPU and Motherboard, but that's kind of expensive, and upgrading to Ivy Bridge probably doesn't make much sense since I'm running i7 930, bit it's tempting.
I'm kind of out of ideas... :(

Post subject: Re: Random freezing and boot issues
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Are you using the latest BIOS revision on your Gigabyte motherboard?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can see what the BSOD is if you go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System (left side panel). Alternatively you can go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery settings -> and uncheck the "Automatically restart" box and wait until it happens again.

I don't see BIOS being the problem, considering the age of the system.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:14 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thanks!
BIOS is up to date.
Automatically restart setting has no effect, I even tried to look for dump files, but are not created.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:26 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

How long have you been OC'ing on that UD3? I blew a UD5 X58 after about two years of a mild 930 OC. The mobo could be the culprit here and settling into the same state mine did a few years ago...that is...the state of aggravation and utter unreliable'ness.

I gotta know, does that little whisper in your ear say Z77 or X79?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:46 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
How long have you been OC'ing on that UD3? I blew a UD5 X58 after about two years of a mild 930 OC. The mobo could be the culprit here and settling into the same state mine did a few years ago...that is...the state of aggravation and utter unreliable'ness.

I gotta know, does that little whisper in your ear say Z77 or X79?

Wow interesting. I did have it overclocked for a while (probably 2 years), so yeah it's very possible mobo is the problem...
That little whisper says "your wife is gonna kill you when she sees credit card statement" :)
Anyway I just looked at prices for 1366 motherboards and they are insane. I think I have no choice but to upgrade :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I think you mean socket 2011 prices, right? Yep, the x79 is a painfully jagged horse pill to swallow right now. But the Z77 pill is actually chewable if you have three Ben Franklins laying around. You instantly get improved IPC plus real usb3, sata6, and pcie3 too, don't forget.

Yet, if you opt to upgrade, there are some good x58 refurb deals on ebay. Asus Deluxe and Sabertooth will go for $85 or so. But you know the drill, you gotta be patient, buy only a truly manufacturer refurbished...not end-used consumer. Tough to take when your main rig is sitting their staring at you all BSOD and pissed.

Before you decide, you should call Gigabyte for some tech support (don't hold your breadth for much, since you appear on your game). They weren't any help to me and my UD5 but odds are they've gotten better assisting with this sort of thing and not blaming other parts or seeking scapegoats like I experienced. They are one of the only who will still talk you thru 1366 mishaps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Yeah I'm a bit confused about all the chipsets. Been looking at various Asus boards, here's thread I started on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=145917

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:27 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

For the price:performance a 3570k and either UD5H or P8Z77-V is tough beat, especially if you live near a MicroCenter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:29 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
For the price:performance a 3570k and either UD5H or P8Z77-V is tough beat, especially if you live near a MicroCenter.

Actually I'm not that far from them. But I won't be getting Gigabyte motherboard again for sure...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:58 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I hear you, but don't let one x58 board failure over what 4 or more years of use deter you. I build with Gigabyte all the time with stellar results, OC'd and non. My gripe is with their 3D Bios. It's not a total embarrassment, but sure looks and feels like a 13 year old geek from middle school designed it. If you want to OC hard, the new UP7 sure looks like a playa. I actually get more build and stability hiccups with Asus but almost (not always) iron them out before delivery. ASRock also is a strong option, they've come a very long way. No real recommendation from me for MSI or Biostar.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:00 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Turn your memory dump back on and report the BSOD error code. Everything else in this thread is a waste of space.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

FascistNation wrote:
Turn your memory dump back on and report the BSOD error code. Everything else in this thread is a waste of space.

It's ON, I never said I turned it off. It's just not being created...
I thought about it, and I'm pretty sure it's problem with voltage regulators on motherboard, I used to have voltage errors occasionally since I got the board, but I thought it was because I OC'ed CPU. It didn't affect performance so I dismissed those.. I guess something eventually burned out (they do get hot), and that would explain why most issues happen during the boot (power use increases from nothing to max)...
Anyway it doesn't matter now, I'm ordering new Mobo/CPU...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

FascistNation wrote:

It's now time for you to put down the sauce, glance in the mirror and press Alt + F4

Bratan wrote:
...I'm ordering new Mobo/CPU...

What's in your cart?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Bratan wrote:
....has been doing BSOD during boot ....When it Blue-screens during boot, message flashes so fast that I can't read it. I even tried recording it with my phone, but so far couldn't catch it on camera....What else can I do? ....

You say you have BSODs. There are only two possibilities, a dump file IS being written which IDs your problem OR you have it turned off. Take your pick. While I donate my time and experience at no charge I expect some sign an OP does the work. But don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

As for kleinkinstein's speculation as to my preferred beverage perhaps he should stick to bargain hunting rather than problem solving.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

FascistNation wrote:
As for kleinkinstein's speculation as to my preferred beverage perhaps he should stick to bargain hunting rather than problem solving.

:) Very nice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
What's in your cart?

ASUS P8Z77-V (open box) and i7-3770
Already received both :)
Now the most painful part, migrate 2 RAID1s I have on old system to new one. One might be ok (it's Intel) but second one (Marvell) consists of 2x3TB drives, and I'm not sure I have place where to copy all the data...
Hardware RAID is great for system crashes, but pain in the arse when swapping motherboards... Might switch back to Windows RAID...