Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCD monitor dim after power outage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Ok, so the power goes off where I work yesterday, and doesn't come on until about 7:30 last night. Today I come to work, and one of our LCDs on our registers doesn't quite work right. It's very very dim - almost not visible. I can't even see the OSD to adjust the brightness. The thing is, when it's on and unplugged and re-plugged, it turns on as bright as it should be for a fraction of a second, then goes dim again.

The LCD on the other system is unaffected, and works fine on either system. The affected LCD does not work on either.

Is the LCD dead? What could possibly cause this?

*edit*

Oddly enough, it went into "standby" when hooked up to the other system, and when I went back to look at it, it came out of standby and works just fine now. Go figure.

Last edited by bobtheelf on Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: LCD monitor dim after power outage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:41 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

bobtheelf wrote:
Ok, so the power goes off where I work yesterday, and doesn't come on until about 7:30 last night. Today I come to work, and one of our LCDs on our registers doesn't quite work right. It's very very dim - almost not visible. I can't even see the OSD to adjust the brightness. The thing is, when it's on and unplugged and re-plugged, it turns on as bright as it should be for a fraction of a second, then goes dim again.

The LCD on the other system is unaffected, and works fine on either system. The affected LCD does not work on either.

bulbs got popped?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

cigar3tte wrote:
bobtheelf wrote:

bulbs got popped?

Jigga wha?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:08 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

bobtheelf wrote:
cigar3tte wrote:
bobtheelf wrote:

bulbs got popped?

Jigga wha?

Essentially something internal got damaged by the outage. Try a different monitor. There is a chance the video card got damaged so this test will determine if the problem is the monitor or the video card.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

baldeagle wrote:
Essentially something internal got damaged by the outage. Try a different monitor. There is a chance the video card got damaged so this test will determine if the problem is the monitor or the video card.

he already has.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

bobtheelf wrote:
Jigga wha?

jigga who?

i was just taking guesses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

cigar3tte wrote:
baldeagle wrote:

he already has.

Then we now know the problem. video card or AGP slot on the mobo. try adding a new, working video card.