Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASUS M4A79 Deluxe and Western Digital Caviar Black drive....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

.........take each other down when placed inside the same computer case.
The ASUS M4A79 Deluxe motherboard was practically new and had only been powered up a couple of times to adjust some BIOS settings and to set up a RAID array. When the RAID array was not an option (due to the poor execution in implementing RAID on this particular board), a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB SATA III hard drive was installed as the main drive. Since it was an AFD and the OS was Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bit), jumper pins 7 and 8 needed to be jumpered on the drive before installing the OS. Windows XP (and the ASUS motherboard) recognized the drive properly, and formatted the drive in NTFS file format. When Windows Setup went to copy files in the C:/Windows file, it took over three hours to complete before rebooting the system to initialize the installation of the OS. However, upon rebooting, an error message appeared stating that a file was either missing or corrupted as it could not be found to initialize the installation of the OS. Subsequent attempts to install the OS failed at the formatting stage until the motherboard reported a BIOS Checksum Error and attempts to recover the BIOS from a floppy, the motherboard support CD, and the latest BIOS revision on a USB flash drive ultimately failed. Can anyone please tell me why this happened? My faith in both of these manufacturers has been damaged because of this and I will not be able to RMA the drive with WD as they have nothing suitable to replace the defective drive.

Post subject: Re: ASUS M4A79 Deluxe and Western Digital Caviar Black drive
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, according to http://support.wdc.com/product/install. ... o=&lang=en , jumpers 7-8 aren't used. So there's problem #1.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Yup, LatiosXT is right and the next problem is you didn't hit F6 and introduce the sata and raid drivers. Sorry, but I just can't imagine that you cannot setup raid on that motherboard using the onboard raid. You did something very wrong trying to set it up, or you didn't have the raid drivers installed via the F6 trick when it came time to load windows. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the manufacture for mistakes you make.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:24 am 
Willamette
Willamette

OK, guys, let me be a little more clear on this, as I glossed over a few details. First of all, I did make the floppy disk to install the AHCI drivers (since Windows XP does not have native AHCI support), and I had the SATA channel mode set to AHCI in the BIOS when I tried to install Windows XP on this POS for a hard drive. Also, LatiosXT, I did not have pins 7 and 8 jumpered when I tried installing Windows XP on this drive, initially. A little digging on WD's site revealed that having those pins jumpered would ensure optimal drive performance in Windows XP, so I tried that after the drive failed to format at all after the first attempt to install Windows XP. This drive is simply defective, but it really shouldn't have caused the motherboard's BIOS to fail completely. Lesson learned is this: Stay the fuck away from AFDs if you are using Windows XP, and always run the extended test on a WD hard drive (mechanical), even if it passes the quick test on WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:12 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh hey, found that page http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... Z0h1NWw%3D

Anyway, the first thing is that why do you even need advanced format? You don't really need it. Sure, you could get at most 12.5% hard drive space, but if you have a lot of smaller files, they now take up 4KB a piece in the hard drive. Not to mention most drives aren't really suited yet for 4K transfers (I believe this is the worst performing benchmark in most tests, SSD or HDD). I'm also going to ask if you ran WD's tool to get it prepped for advanced format beforehand.

And possible considering the age of the motherboard, it could've just been on its last legs and croaked at a convenient time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:28 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You still didn't say if you loaded the SATA and RAID Drivers via the F6 option. You need to do this via a floppy drive or usb thumb drive.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes, I loaded the AHCI drivers from the floppy disk when prompted by hitting the F6 key during the Windows XP install. It still didn't matter as the drive was still seen in the BIOS and by Windows XP, but would not format after the first failed installation attempt. While I could accept that the drive failed prematurely, I am still at a loss to explain why it took a rarely used ASUS motherboard with it. LatiosXT, I did not choose the WD hard drive, my sister did as both of these components were going into her computer case. She simply wanted the space as she has a lot of documents that she saves for her work. I tried to do my due diligence to avoid any surprises during the installation of the hard drive, but I got much more dire surprises than what I expected to encounter. BTW, LatiosXT, I did not run the Acronis Alignment Tool as you have to run that after the initial Windows XP installation. Since I couldn't get Windows XP to install on the damn drive, I couldn't run the alignment tool on it, either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Either way, you didn't need to set it for advanced format, as it's not stuck in that mode (that or the controller just does a legacy thing). At the end of the day though, you take whatever you want to believe from this in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:00 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Update: I installed the defective WD drive in my own Windows XP Professional desktop computer and was able to successfully run the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics software for DOS. The Quick Test resulted in a "Test Competed with a Read Element Failure Error/Status Code 0007" and advised me to either back up my data on the drive and run the Extended Test or perform a Full Media Scan. Since I had no personal data on the drive, I ran the Full Media Scan (aka the Extended Test) and it resulted in "Too Many Errors Found--Please Contact Technical Support Error/Status Code 0225". So then I decided (just for shits and giggles) to "Write Zeroes to the Drive". That resulted in an "IRQ Timeout" error. I have RMAed the drive to NewEgg. :D