Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: wireless networking problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 am 

Hi,

This prolly requires an easy answer but, I have 2 computers one a laptop running windows 2000 pro, and a desktop running windows xp sp1.

The Router is a D-Link 802.11b, and both computers have linksys wireless adapters in them. Here is the problem.

The laptop running windows 2000 is able to access both the internet and the desktop through the router, but the desktop can only access the laptop, not the internet. I checked the settings on the desktop, and the SSID is set for "dlink" which is the default for the router, and when i IPCONFIG the desktop, no ip address comes up. I cannot renew the IP address either for it errors saying no adapter found. But I am still able to access the local network and view shared folders on the laptop.

As i mentioned, the desktop recognizes the wireless network, as when i disconnect it asks if i would like to reconnect to the newly found network, but I cannot access the internet, only the local network.

There is no firewall installed, and the Windows XP firewall is turned off. When i look at the properties of the card, it is sending out packets but not recieving any.

I tried connecting to the D-Link router through the desktop using the default http address but could not connect.

Im sort of lost as I do no know what to do next.

Thanks for any help :)

Post subject: Re: wireless networking problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:00 am 
Klamath
Klamath

sk00by wrote:
The laptop running windows 2000 is able to access both the internet and the desktop through the router, but the desktop can only access the laptop, not the internet.:)

Check the routers settings and make sure you have enough ip addresses to assign more than 1 computer.

Also check NICs TCP/IP settings and make sure it is set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.

You can also try to unplug the router, then unplug the modem, then plug back in the router, and the finally the modem. I don't know why you need to do that, but it does solve some problems with my Dlink DWL-614+.

Let me know if any of that works.

-Thirdlife

Post subject: Re: wireless networking problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:16 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Thirdlife wrote:
sk00by wrote:
The laptop running windows 2000 is able to access both the internet and the desktop through the router, but the desktop can only access the laptop, not the internet.:)

Check the routers settings and make sure you have enough ip addresses to assign more than 1 computer.

Also check NICs TCP/IP settings and make sure it is set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.

You can also try to unplug the router, then unplug the modem, then plug back in the router, and the finally the modem. I don't know why you need to do that, but it does solve some problems with my Dlink DWL-614+.

Let me know if any of that works.

-Thirdlife

Do not forget to set the default gateway to either your computer with internet connection or the router ip address. Make sure you also have internet sharing enabled on your 2000 Pro pc.