Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: High CPU temps and random reboots
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:19 am 

Hey all. Having a little problem here with high CPU temps. As I am writing this, my CPU die temp is moving between 60 and 61. I've had a long string of problems lately that have resulted in random restarts.

Initally, I noticed that my videocard fan (radeon 9600 pro) was not spinning, I'd give it a nudge and it would spin but at about half the RPM's it should be spinning at. I replaced it with a Artic cooler VGA cooler rev. 3, computer still restarts

I clear the case and reseat all hardware making sure there were no shorts. As I had the motherboard out of the case, I noticed that a capasitor was ruptured next to the CPU leaving a small ammount of brown substance on the top of the capasitor. at this point, the restarts were constant, I would get to the desktop and boom, reboot. I replaced the mobo with the same one, still rebooting, but nowhere as frequently

My motherboard comes with a hardware monitor. I installed that and the CPU temp seemed to be high to me. it did drop down at about 42 at one point but came back up and is at a constant 60/61 even while not doing anything. As I'm writing this, I've been monitoring my CPU usage, its stayed at about 0-2% about 99% of the time

When I switched mobo's, I applied thermal paste that came with my video card cooler onto the CPU as I was told this should be fine, is it possible that using too much could have cause this problem? or that this stuff won't work as well for CPU's

only other thing I can think of is my power supply. Its the stock unit that came with my case (and my case is not a name brand of any type). The PSU is 350W. I'm thinking my next step is to replace the PSU and get some new thermal compound. If you guys can throw me some hints or suggestions, I would be greatful, I've been fighting with this for several months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:38 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Invest in some arctic silver 5, q-tips, and alcohol. Thoroughly clean your heatsink/cpu and apply a small amount of AS5. Look on their website for directions.

Beyond that, I would look at airflow in your case, making sure it is adequate. And of course the obligatory mention of the Zalman CNSP7000a-cu hsf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:49 am 
Northwood
Northwood

definitely clean the thermal compound off your cpu and go out and buy arti silver 5. this is one of the best thermal compound out there. my temps were the same as your too one reason is that there was a huge chunk of dust on my HSF, blocking air from cooling my cpu. i clean my HSF and even the old thermal artic silver 3 i used on my cpu before and applied artic silver 5. now my temps are normal again and is not up in the 60c.

when you clean your cpu, dont put too much thermal compound on your cpu so your HSF can make good conctact with the processor. also use alcohol, the 912% iso..something i forgot the chemical, heeeehhee, but it does start with iso. this type of alcohol dries so fast and i was blown away because it dries up in 3min. dont put the wet proc on your computer and turn it on. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

keymaker wrote:
also use alcohol, the 912% iso..something i forgot the chemical, heeeehhee, but it does start with iso.

Isopropyl 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:10 am 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

Well the problems you posted and it leads to also the powersupply. No-name, random restarts, system instability. Yep yep, powersupply.

Invest in a new "brand" name powersupply. I think for 60-70 bux can get you a nice 400watt if you wanted to go that route. Otherwise another 350 should be in the neighborhood or less.

Check out newegg, or wherever you buy ur stuff.

Antec, Enermax, PP&C, Vantec, Sparkle.

And the videocard fan not spinning, take the fan out, peel the sticker that covers the lil whole, and put a droplet of some oil. Keep the fan nice and lubed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I don't think the PS would give him such high temps, though.

I'm going to agree with the 'too much paste' idea ... you should be able to see through the paste once you spread it ... too much will act as an insulator rather than a heat conductor. NO thermal paste is much better than too much.

I would try that first ... and if you still have high temps and reboots, consider a new PS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:18 pm 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

If you have a leaking capacitor, you can try to RMA the board to the MFG or where you bough it if it's still under warranty...

The bad caps are the root of your problem.

So short of the above solution or replacing the caps yourself, the board is toast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Just a question, could I clean my HSF with some Bacardi 151?

or Everclear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:15 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

defkhan1 wrote:
If you have a leaking capacitor, you can try to RMA the board to the MFG or where you bough it if it's still under warranty...

The bad caps are the root of your problem.

So short of the above solution or replacing the caps yourself, the board is toast.

He already did. He said he "replaced the mobo with the same one, still rebooting, but nowhere as frequently."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:25 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

deject wrote:

or Everclear?

I'm not sure if this was serious ... but no. They have sugars which would dry on your CPU. Bad bad bad. Isopropyl alchohol evaporates completely, which is why is makes a good cleaning agent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Jipstyle wrote:
deject wrote:

or Everclear?

I'm not sure if this was serious ... but no. They have sugars which would dry on your CPU. Bad bad bad. Isopropyl alchohol evaporates completely, which is why is makes a good cleaning agent.

well, it was pure curiosity. I'm sue a bottle of 151 is easier to find than 99% isopropyl alcohol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:50 pm 

keymaker, dude! I owe you a beer bro! Thank you!

It never crossed my mind that dust could be clogging my heatsink, took that fan off the HS and there it was, a blanket of buildup, cleaned it up with my loud ass vacuum (with attachments :D )...

before: 60-61 at idle, my bios reboots the comp after it hits 85

after: 38 to 41 at idle - 50-51 in heavy use

I am still going to pickup some artic silver 5 just to know I have the right stuff. Thanks a million guys for all the replys and help!