Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dead Hard Drive Need Help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:08 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This is basically the same problem I posted a thread a week ago. Unfortunately, I believe my hard drive is dead.

Watching a movie requires the use of my C drive which has the OS on it plus the media playing programing running on it and the D drive which has the movie stored on it. As I mentioned in the earlier thread, explorer.exe got turned off while playing this movie and in effect, messing up what I believe to be the boot sectors from BOTH hard drives.

Anyway not to repost the original thread again but.......you know how when, while Windows is running you can plug say an MP3 player in and Windows will recognize it as new hardware found?? I reinstalled Win7 onto my C drive and fixed whatever was wrong with it as I can now boot directly to it but while it's running and I reach in and plug in the messed up D drive nothing happens. It does not get recognized. BIOS DOES recognize the drive when plugged in but Windows does not. Windows also can NOT boot up when the D drive is plugged in.

See why the new thread??? Did I go from a D drive with a bad boot sector (or whatever) to a D drive that is now dead??? Thanks for your time during the holiday, hope you're having fun. I'm not. :(

Post subject: Re: Dead Hard Drive Need Help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Did you switch your SATA mode in the BIOS to AHCI as suggested in the previous post? And, FWIW, I am sorry that you are not having fun on this holiday weekend.

Post subject: Re: Dead Hard Drive Need Help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

It's always been AHCI in BIOS so I never had to change anything.