Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Swapping a data drive
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a 300GB Velociraptor that I would like to change out with a 1-2TB drive. I have an SSD for my C drive with Windows & apps on it. My E drive has music, photos, steam and other games installed on it. Can I just format a new drive and copy the contents over to it? Or do I have to clone the drive to make everything work?

Post subject: Re: Swapping a data drive
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Unless you are doing a clean install you have to clone the C drive to get it to boot. And for the apps to work. Otherwise it is a clean install for them too.

The E you can copy over.

You can use MS Easy Transfer to grab the %appdata% from the C drive and if you install the apps manually first and then transfer the appdata, most user settings are preserved.

Cloning is easy and free.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I think you're saying that you're keeping the OS unchanged on the SSD and just want to move your data from the Raptor to the new 1-2TB hdd. If so, just copy or transfer away...nothing special or cloning is required. And to make the migration smooth and fast use Teracopy, Robocopy or Easy Transfer from MS as suggested above from the Facist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
I think you're saying that you're keeping the OS unchanged on the SSD and just want to move your data from the Raptor to the new 1-2TB hdd.

Correct. The OS drive will remain unchanged. I just didn't know if Steam or the other games I have on the Velociraptor would freak out if they were just copied to a new drive. Thanks for the confirmation!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:54 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

For clarification, do I need to show hidden files & folders before I copy over? Or can I just select all, copy & paste as is?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm not sure if you could do this on the root directory, but you can use a built-in Windows copying tool called robocopy from the command line (in elevated mode, so run as an administrator). The command is: robocopy /copyall /mir /xj [Source] [Destination]. So you may just be able to get away with robocopy /copyall /mir /xj D:\ E:\ (for example). /mir mirrors the directory tree and /xj tells Windows to ignore junction points (from symlinks). Both are important.

Make sure the result of it is 0 errors.