Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How about a cup of fresh fragmented files?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey all, Well I just had one of the weirdest things happen on my main machine. I usually Defragment my laptop every two weeks so that it keeps running fast and in the past its been fine. I usually use Smart Defrag 2 from IoBit because its free and has always worked just fine for me. Well recently because of some errors with my computer I restored it and put all my software back on the hard drive. Well I did a defragmentation on it a couple weeks back and it worked fine with the smart defrag or so I thought. I kind figured it was done kinda fast. Usually can take up to an hour and I set it to turn the machine off since I do it at night when the system is not in as much use. Well because my laptop was off by the time I came back within a half hours time it was done very fast i figured. well yesterday I went to go do it again since it had been a few weeks and instead of setting it to turn off I started it and watched it for a few minutes as it started and all it did was analyze that the system was 0.06 rather than the needed 0.00 fragmented. so I tried a few times and nothing. Well it came to using the old fashioned Windows Defragment program included with windows 7. I honestly haven't used the windows defragment program since 98SE days. anyway it did it and took over an hour to accomplish this.

In short does anyone know why this would be. my first guess was that it didn't need to be done. But my next thought was why would it do it just fine every two weeks prior to a restore and now not want to do it.

Post subject: Re: How about a cup of fresh fragmented files?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:13 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

NTFS is very good at handling fragmentation to the point where you need to be severely fragmented (I forget the figures, but it's something like 30%+) in order for you to experience any appreciable performance degradation. If you're worrying about <0.1% fragmentation, then maybe you should start making sure your laptop is absolutely lint free.

In other words, I have no solution other than you're doing something way more than you have to.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
NTFS is very good at handling fragmentation to the point where you need to be severely fragmented (I forget the figures, but it's something like 30%+) in order for you to experience any appreciable performance degradation. If you're worrying about <0.1% fragmentation, then maybe you should start making sure your laptop is absolutely lint free.

In other words, I have no solution other than you're doing something way more than you have to.

LOL, nice way of putting it. I was doing it because an old teacher of mine had said it was good thing to do it at least twice a month but this was years ago probably before XP and most likely when NTFS was still a new file system. Thanks for the help LatiosXT again..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yes, I have to admit I rarely run a defrag app now a days. I think the last time was on an old laptop with 2Gb of RAM and a >80% full HDD, I had cleaned a lot of old stuff off of to get some room.

As to why Win7 took so long---the better defrag apps will move certain high use files towards the front for quicker access. Win7 will do that. It is a one shot deal and usually does not need to be done at least as extensively the next time around. That would be my guess.