Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mystery application playing sounds
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok, this has me stumped... totally. Running Windows 7 Ultimate on a new system. I don't know what I've downloaded, but there are times when out of the blue the computer (without running anything, ie, firefox or any chat programs) will start playing sounds. They sound like an advertisement. The last one was for what sounded like a girl on a webcam. Prior to that it came up playing some weird music, and another time advertising for some flog gaming. When I pull up the task manager, it says nothing is running. ESET shows no infections, Malwarebytes says I'm clean, as does Spybot. I've really been out of the computer loop for a while, so I'm at a total loss. Can anybody help?

Post subject: Re: Mystery application playing sounds
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:35 am 

You sound like you know your way around a computer, so this might be something you've already done, but have you tried looking in >msconfig.exe > startup< to see if there are any programs you don't recognize? Add/remove programs for something new? How about unplugging/disconnecting the internet to eliminate a source? Very strange, looking forward to an answer.......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's try this, since I've found this happening on my system. Open up Task Mananger, find any instance of "plugin-container" and "FlashPlayerPlugin" and end them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well I found 2 instances of FlashPlayerPlugin_11_4_402_265.exe*32 running. Went in and tried to end it, and both went away, then came back a few minutes later. It started playing sounds of a pool game, then quit, then started playing the beginning of Michael Jacksons Beat It, then quit again. I'm not sure if it's some bot program that's running or what. It will start if I'm upstairs and nothing is running, just all the sudden something is making noise. Or if I'm watching a youtube video sometimes it will start as well. Whatever it is, it's starting with the system. I found an instance of GuardRailRu Module in msconfig and something called Mtool. Disabled both, so I'll see how that works

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:09 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, this has happened again. Woke me up from a deep sleep to the star trek theme playing. I opened up the mixer in the volume to find something called "Name not available", muting it fixed everything, but it's still there. Opening the task manager there aren't any programs running, and going down the list ending all instances of flash player did nothing. There are also no other plug ins running. Where can I go to find out what this is? Anybody??? Exhausting my searches online of how to fix this, and considering using bleeping computer.... usually my last resort when I have a virus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:13 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

At this point I'd just reformat. The computer's obviously in some state you don't like, and rather than dig through the OS to delete it, just hit the big red button.

The only thing you really need to back up is your user folder, assuming you don't have anything else on the OS partition you keep around.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:04 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Give it the ole' 1-2-3 punch first and see if it goes away.

Download these three apps first:

Smitfraudfix, it works in win7:

http://majorgeeks.com/SmitFraudFix_d5360.html

Combofix, it works in win 7 also:

http://majorgeeks.com/Combofix_d6402.html

Malwarebytes:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Choose free version.

Now go into Safe Mode with Networking and start with Smitfraudfix...follow the prompts and let it update if it wants.

Next run Combofix and follow the prompts, let it update too.

Last run Malwarebytes by installing it, update it and run it.

If at any time you are required to reboot to finish an operation, make sure you go back into safe mode with networking to finish the rest of the apps.

I find these apps kill most malware on your computer if you follow these simple instructions above.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I Am Weasel wrote:
...then started playing the beginning of Michael Jacksons Beat It, then quit again.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: