Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop won't charge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:08 am 

I have a Gateway NV53A24U laptop that does not charged when the AC adapter is plugged in. It is not the adapter itself as several have been tried. It is not the battery because I am typing this using the battery from another Gateway that does charge. When the adapter is plugged in windows reports that it is charging for ~30 seconds then it stops. The laptop does not boot with the battery out. It gives no response( No LEDs or Fans). I am thinking that it is the motherboard but there is no warranty on this so that would be very bad. If it is I am wondering if anybody is aware of a way to fix it. Thank you for your help in advance.

Edit: The other Gateway is using this laptop's battery and is working fine.

Post subject: Re: Laptop won't charge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It may be something simple like the charge port gone bad or maybe became un-solderded from the motherboard, they take a lot of abuse.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:43 pm 

Yeah, whatever it is it's internal. Hopefully it is simple. Gonna take it to get repaired. Poor right now so hopefully its not too much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I have a laptop that does not charged when the AC adapter is plugged in.
It is not the adapter itself as several have been tried.
It is not the battery because I am typing this using the battery from another Gateway that does charge. The other Gateway is using this laptop's battery and is working fine.
When the adapter is plugged in windows reports that it is charging for ~30 seconds then it stops.
The laptop does not boot with the battery out.
It gives no response( No LEDs or Fans). I am thinking that it is the motherboard but there is no warranty on this so that would be very bad.

I doubt it is the motherboard, it has nothing to do with charging or the battery except monitoring the charge.

I think this is significant: The laptop does not boot with the battery out.

The AC adapter should work whether the battery is in or out. I am just not sure what it means other than the circuit responsible for charging the battery or passing AC to the system is obviously not working.

Keep in mind that nice but refurb laptop is worth no more than $330 tops. Don't let repair bills eat you up and know how much they plan to charge just to examine it. You can always try to buy 1 or more broken Gateway NV53A laptops on eBay and swap parts.

disassemble