Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sudden massive slowdown.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 am 

First let me state that i have had this problem before and got so fed up with it i reformatted. I have tried everything known to man. But now its happening again and i really dont want to do it again.

Basically i have experienced a sudden massive slow down on everything. This includes posting bootup games internet shutdown opening and closing windows. No freezeing or stuttering. Just everything moves at half speed. Here is what i have done so far.

Cpu and gpu temps are normal.
Cpu and ram usage are in normal range for me
System restore did nothing.
Scan and chkdisk found nothing.
Did not find any viruses from mse
adjust power and display settings.
Deleted java updates ( heard this can cause problems)

Any other suggestions?

I7 860
Windows 7 home 64 bit
Radeon 5870
4 gig 1600 corsair ram
850 watt corsair power supply
Asus p55 deluxe mobo
1 tb wd black hd.

Post subject: Re: Sudden massive slowdown.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:00 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Is it possible you can install another operating system to rule out the possibility of software?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:32 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What's hogging your cpu cycles and memory bandwidth? Kinda smells like malware. Before we go down that route, let's first take a peek of what's running in both the foreground and background with System Explorer and Monitor? Look for unknown apps, runaway processes or utilization anomalies.

Did you check the temps on your ram? Is it running at 1600 spec in your bios? Have you updated any drivers recently? Run CCleaner with CCEnhancer to scrub all the crud to remove...
- temporary Internet files
- downloaded program files (such as Microsoft ActiveX controls and Java applets)
- empty the Recycle Bin
- Windows temporary files such as error reports
- optional Windows components you don’t use
- installed programs you no longer use
- unused restore points and shadow copies from System Restore
- nnn

Then defrag with Auslogics or Defraggler. Run all these as portable apps to avoid any further installation of anything.

Last edited by kleinkinstein on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 am 

I do not have another operating system to install.

So do you want me to look up whats going on in my system tray and task manager and post it up here? Ill run those two programs when I get home to see whats up.

How do you check ram temps and where do you check to see if its running at 1600 at in the BIOS?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 am 

Allrighty! I got some work to do when i get home!

One other thing that makes me think its not malware. Once i get past the 5 second time of the chrome window slowly fading in the internet runs fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:14 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Part of me is a little confused. What you're describing feels like the system does things slowly, but I don't see an implication that it's just taking forever to respond to something. If it's slow to respond, then the blame is most likely the hard drive or RAM. Though since you feel the RAM is fine, we could leave that out.

You could always download Ubuntu to a 1GB flash drive and run it live (it won't install the OS, but you can still play around with it).

Part of me doesn't like kleinstein's solution because that only frees up hard drive space, and low hard drive space alone doesn't really cause much of a performance issue unless you have dynamic sized page file and you're maxxing it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:59 pm 

It is NOT slow to respond. Just slow to do. For example. I will click to open chrome. It will instantly start to open chrome, but the window it self will take a good 5 to 7 seconds to open up. It will be slowly fading in on the screen and finally when it opens on the screen I can use the internet normally. The same thing for games. It will instantly start to open games but they will load and go so slow on the screen.

Its very confusing and I have never heard of anything like it. A friend at work told me it could be bad SATA cables too. I might try to see if I have a short or something in those. I do not think its a hardware issue though because it ran like new after my reformat a couple months ago.

Anything I try to open will start the opening process immediately like it always does. Its just getting from the starting point to actually being an open program that is taking forever. Before all this my comp would open chrome in less then a second. Now i see the window slowly expanding out of the icon and the window slowly becoming solid until it fills the screen and is fully visable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:23 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

thekerrick wrote:
I might try to see if I have a short or something in those. I do not think its a hardware issue though because it ran like new after my reformat a couple months ago.

If there's an electrical problem with the cable, your hard drive would basically not work.

However, if after you've done a bunch of searching and cleaning and you still get no results, I urge you to run Linux (from a live boot mode... or whatever they call it). We could play this game of "finding something out in Windows" forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
Are you running any other antivirus product besides Microsoft Security Essentials? (say the McAfee they try to load in with the java updates?)
You should never be running two active antivirus products on your PC at the same time.

Also, are you using compression or encryption on your hard drive?
A very, very compressed HD could cause system slowdowns if the data is not getting decompressed fast enough.

And I Have seen systems that ran poorly - but did run... when the box had bad SATA cables. Swapped out the cables and all the problems vanished.

Another option would be to clone that HD onto a clean new drive - and see if the behavior changes. It is still possible that your 1TB drive is starting to fail.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm 

Ok so i am not compressing my harddrive. Cant find anything hogging bandwidth. Ram is running ok and at 1600. I also defragged. I am running jist MSE and have found no virus. Nothing. But i did unplug and replug my sata cable and bam worked like a champ. Hopefully its still ok when i get home. Ill give an update.

I am typing this on mu phone. Sorry for grammar and errors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:50 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It must be an old SATA cable on the hard drive that worked loose. The new SATA cables lock in place and eliminate that problem.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:11 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

thekerrick wrote:
But i did unplug and replug my sata cable and bam worked like a champ.

Now I'm curious. If the Phy layer was at fault, how come it didn't affect everything?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:00 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Go to the hard drives website and get its diagnostic software and run it. The drive may be failing and the software will tell you if it is.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Run LifeGuard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:46 pm 

I actually ran that a bit ago when this first happened and no problems at all. Everything's still working well also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

The last time you loaded windows after formatting the drive, did you also fix the master boot record?

WDs Lifeguard software has a utility to fix the master boot record, the windows disk can also be used to fix the master boot record.

The reason I mentioned the above is because you end up with the same issue you had before you reloaded windows and this can be caused by a boot sector virus. Unless you fix the MBR and then format the drive before installing windows you will always get the same virus back.

Just a thought...

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:10 am 

Ok ill try it again.