Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bad PSU?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 pm 

Hello, all,

When I turned my pc on it seemed to boot up fine and Windows 7 Loaded without any problems but after a minute or less, it seemed to lose all power as if it had been unplugged. A moment later, it started up again then shut off again after a few seconds, started up again, and so on. I tried plugging it into a different outlet but it hasn't helped. When I shut down last night I got a message that Windows was installing updates but didn't try to force it to shut down, I just went to bed and left it to finish up on its own, so I don't think it's a software problem. My PSU is an Antec 1000 connected to a Rampage Extreme mobo.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Bad PSU?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've seen this happen way too many times. It's the power supply.

EDIT: It's not that one in particular, I have bad luck with power supplies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

LatiosXT if you have a lot of bad luck with psus, you may want to check the line voltage in your house. It may be running less than 120 volts. This goes for the poster of this thread as well. All you need is a multimeter to check it, ten bucks at Radio Shack.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:53 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nastyman wrote:
LatiosXT if you have a lot of bad luck with psus, you may want to check the line voltage in your house. It may be running less than 120 volts. This goes for the poster of this thread as well. All you need is a multimeter to check it, ten bucks at Radio Shack.

Nasty

I've had this happen in three different places. So unless the entire city of San Diego has crappy power, I'm just going to point at the PSU.

EDIT: Well just to check, I ran my Kill A Watt around the house (I have a DMM from Radioshack, but I'm dubious about its voltage range), they were all 116-117V. Yes this is short of the 120V, but most automatic power supplies are rated for 100V-240V. So unless your entire house is below 100V+/- some percentage...

Besides, if the voltage was bad, then it wouldn't just work. Even if PSU's were purely analog (and not subject to voltage requirements), the computer (which does require some voltage) would just shut off right away. But PSUs have digital components in them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:50 pm 

My thanks to you both. My system worked fine up until now, so I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. I've gone ahead and ordered a PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W from Newegg.