Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [FIXED] New Processor Makes Computer Hang At Start-Up
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 pm 

A few weeks ago I posted a new topic in the Help Me Buy/Build section about getting a new processor. The specific topic can be found here. In short the new processor I was thinking about getting was a Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz and that new processor was replacing a Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz. After ordering the new processor, I got it within a week. I just today put it into my custom computer and problems started to arise.

The processor fit into the motherboard, but here's the slight problem; the computer will not boot up beyond the motherboard start-up screen. For some strange reason I can still get to the boot screen (the "Select Where To First Boot From" screen) but nowhere else. Letting the computer do its own thing or trying to get to the BIOS will either crash or freeze the computer.

I suspect that my problem might be because I had originally set my motherboard to overclock my slower, 3-core CPU and inserting the new 6-core CPU with the default fan might not be enough to keep the CPU cool enough to operate. However, with a little help from someone else I was able to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard and place it back in after about two minute (I was under the impression that removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes would set the BIOS back to the defaults). Also, since I wrongly installed the 3-core CPU I cannot put it back into the motherboard.

I currently have no idea what I should do if I did anything wrong and I would really appreciate any help I can get.

SPECS:
Processor (OLD): AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
Processor (NEW): AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V

EDIT: My problem is fixed. See reply #4 (post #5).

Last edited by V8_Ninja on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Processor Makes Computer Hang At Motherboard Start-U
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 am 

A Small update; I can get to the POST screen of my motherboard, but it only lasts for about 1/4th of a second before force-rebooting the computer and whenever I try to get to my BIOS the computer just ends up showing a black screen with a blinking cursor. The very short hang-time for the POST screen means that it will be very hard to see if I have the right Motherboard software that supports my new hexacore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:33 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Go to your mobo maker's site and determine if the mobo can handle the new CPU. If so, see if that will require a new BIOS. If so, flash in the new BIOS that supports the new CPU. Try a minimal boot and clear CMOS -- unplug everything except the boot drive, one cd/dvd drive, one stick of memory, one vidcard -- you get the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:29 am 

OS-Wiz wrote:
Go to your mobo maker's site and determine if the mobo can handle the new CPU. If so, see if that will require a new BIOS. If so, flash in the new BIOS that supports the new CPU. Try a minimal boot and clear CMOS -- unplug everything except the boot drive, one cd/dvd drive, one stick of memory, one vidcard -- you get the idea.

I definitely know that my current motherboard can run the new CPU. However, what I was unsure about was if the BIOS required an upgrade. I'll attempt to flash the BIOS to the latest version and post my results here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 am 

After fiddling around with my old processor, I was able to put it back into my motherboard and figure out that my motherboard needed to be flashed. After flashing the BIOS to the most up-to-date version, the new processor was recognized and I was able to boot up Windows 7 with no problems. If I have any issues within the next week I will post back here, but after the week any moderator can freely close this topic and I won't object.