Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 network slow to start after wake
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:46 am 

On my Windows 7 64-bit desktop, I find that after I wake from sleep, it takes about 20 seconds for the wired network to reestablish a connection. I have tried several things without success:

* Set a static IP address
* Disabled IPv6
* Updated the Realtek driver to the latest version
* Sett the power settings for the network adapter to not allow the PC to power it off
* Set the power settings for the network adapter to allow wake on LAN

Regardless of these settings, after my computer returns from sleep (or reboots) and I enter my password, I have no functional Internet connection for about 20 seconds, as indicated both by the network icon in the system tray and actual functionality. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 network slow to start after wake
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:30 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Coming from sleep is like a reboot without pushing the On button and takes a bit to initialize everything again....20 seconds? Gads learn a little patience.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:55 am 

Quote:
Coming from sleep is like a reboot without pushing the On button and takes a bit to initialize everything again.

But why is it initializing the network adapter at all? The network is supposed to remain active even while the PC is asleep.

I know 20 seconds doesn't sound that long, but when everything else (including the web browser) is ready in a couple of seconds, and you're just sitting around waiting for the network to reconnect, it's aggravating.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nastyman wrote:
Coming from sleep is like a reboot without pushing the On button and takes a bit to initialize everything again....20 seconds? Gads learn a little patience.

Nasty

Except the state of the machine is stored in RAM, and it shouldn't take that long to reinitialize the Ethernet controller.

But either way, there's no easy fix to this because it could be the router too, going "Oh, someone's getting on, let me see what I can do..."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:33 am 

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue with a Win7 64bit machine, and it's not the router as all the other computers on the network don't have this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:46 pm 

In my case, it turned out to be a failing network switch. I'd suggest trying a different port on your router.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:34 pm 

Here's something to remember... in the device manager look at the properties for your network adapter. One of the tabs is power management: uncheck the box called "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" This will keep the network adapter live with its IP address and communication with the router or switch. The card won't have to wake up and re-establish a new IP address. Network communications will be established faster this way...