Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help with win7 - HP deskjet 710c printer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:55 pm 

just recently brought an acer one 722 with win 7 os. I have a problem with connecting my printer with the computer. I tried plugging it in the 3 different usb port but it is not detected by my computer. My deskjet is old but it works perfectly well with my samsung netbook. Can anyone help me pls? thanks

I found some topics in the internet about the incompatibility and how to make it compatible but it is not working for me. ( I did a snapshot of the step by step process but cannot figure out the last step)

this is the guideline that I saw from another site I cannot post the file so will paste it here:
--------------------------
The attached file contains a patch for this issue. Apply the patch as follows: First make sure the driver for the printer is installed. Log into the computer with an administrative account. Download the patch by clicking on this link or on the paper clip at the end of this post. Save the patch file to your computer, then unzip it. Next copy the three DLL files to the following directory: %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3
This can be done from a DOS prompt if DOS is opened with the "run as administrator" command, or from explorer with a copy and paste. Depending on your UAC settings you may need to provide confirmation. Also allow the current files to be overwritten if prompted.

This patch is not required and should not applied to a 32 bit version of Vista or Windows 7.

Thanks to extraordinary Microsoft engineer Alan Morris for guidance for the patch.

Update - the following are more detailed installation instructions:

Download the patch from here. Now click on the file and open it, then extract the patch to some directory that is easy to find. (I use c:\temp. If this directory does not exist you can create it as follows: open the administrative DOS prompt by clicking on Start, All Programs, Accessories, then right click on CMD.EXE and select Run as Administrator. Click in the DOS box then type the following:

Step 1 - MD c:\temp
Step 2 - CD \temp

Now extract the patch files into the c:\temp directory (extract all, chose c:\temp as the destination).

[Update - Windows security settings may prevent these files from being used, please open Computer, type c:\temp in the address bar and then right click on each of the dll files and select Properties. If there is a message in Properties indicating the file was downloaded from the internet and may be blocked then unblock the file before proceeding.]

Next click back in the administrative DOS prompt and type the following: (stuff in green is comments, do not type them...)

Step 3 = DIR *.dll (this is just to verify the files are there, it should list hpvdb720.dll, hpvdb820.dll and hpwm5db1.dll and perhaps others.)
Step 4 = Net stop spooler (makes sure the files are not in use.)
Step 5
Copy hpvdb720.dll C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 (this is for the Deskjet 710/712/720/722)
Copy hpvdb820.dll c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 (this covers the Deskjet 820 and 822)
Copy hpwm5db1.dll c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3(this covers the Deskjet 1000)
Net Start Spooler
Exit

At this point the patch is installed and ready to print.

Note that the printers here do not support USB connections, they have only parallel ports. If you use a USB-parallel converter make sure it is supported in your operating system. The following posts are flagged with USB-parallel cables that are reported to work in Windows 7. A driver is required for the USB-parallel converter in addition to the driver for the printer. For supported converters this is typically supplied automatically in Windows 7. Note: the proper port to select for the USB-Parallel converters is often USB001:. I have heard of some cases where the port was USB002: or LPT3: as well. If the port you are using does not succeed (after applying the patch) try changing the port by going to Start, Devices and Printers, right click on your printer and select Printer Properties, then click on the Ports tab.

I cannot post the snapshot here :(

Post subject: Re: help with win7 - HP deskjet 710c printer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:18 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you go to the HP site of your printer and see if they have a win 7 driver available?

You should always post the make and model of anything you want help on before asking a question. They weren't kidding when the mods made this a sticky:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=113191

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 am 

Hi nasty,

sorry for that, I admit I wasn't able to go through the thread about how to ask questions. I was frustrated because the IT guy do not know how to fix the problem and I worked on solving it to my limit.

So here is some of the things that I have already done:

- computer model : Acer one 722 with win7 64-bit os
- printer model : HP deskjet 710c
- i run it as an administrator
- no available software for download, told me to connect the cable and window update will automatically look for compatible software or it is already installed in my pc.
- I did what it said, the computer did not detect the printer so I manually added the printer name and model to the list of printer devices.
- I tried printing a test page, and the printer properties told me that the status is "printing" when it was actually not.
- I detached the usb connector and tried again, the computer detected the printer as usb device not printer.
- I searched the internet and i came up with the one I posted earlier.
- I followed the step by step process but the last one did not work. ( I tried changing the ports) but it is not working still.

- My friend has an Acer and told me there was a problem with Acer and Hp printer, the IT guy was able to fixed it due to the changing of ports (which I did as I mentioned earlier) but it was not working for me.

- The deskjet is 10 years old, in good condition and is still functioning with my previous computer and I really don't want to buy one as it would be a waste of money ( I rarely print out documents) and i think would be my last option if it really is not going to work out.

hope this helps.

Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:55 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

...did a little searching on the interwebs... and found this little gem:

Quote:
Driver - Product Installation Software (‏1)
Install the Driver Using Windows Update with a USB Connection (Downloadable Driver Not Available) ►
2009-10-15 , Version:N/A
HP Single-Function Printers - Installing the Product with the USB Cable and Using the Windows Update Driver or the Driver Located in the Windows 7 Operating System
More info:

The drivers for your HP product are already included in the new Windows 7 operating system! You do not need to download drivers to use the product . Simply connect the printer to your computer with a USB cable, and Windows Update automatically installs the driver for your product.
With the in-OS driver, some of the buttons on the product do not function and some of the advanced product features are not available. For more information about your in-OS driver, and to see workarounds for lost functionality, go to the Frequently asked questions section.
Install the Windows 7 in-Operating System (in-OS) print driver
When you connect your printer to the computer, Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the product CD.
Step one: Install the in-OS driver
Follow these steps to install the in-OS driver in Windows 7.
NOTE:The computer must be connected to the Internet for Windows Update to detect and install your product.

Turn the product on.
Connect the USB cable to the printer, and then to the computer.
Figure 1: USB cable
USB cable
NOTE:When you connect the USB cable to the printer, and then to the computer, Windows 7 activates Windows Update. Windows Update searches online for the most recent product driver on the Windows Update site. If the online driver is more recent than the driver stored in Windows 7, the computer downloads and installs the updated driver.The Windows Update process takes place automatically. Therefore, you might not notice that the process is in progress.
Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification displays on your computer to let you know when installation is complete.

Your basic Windows 7 driver is now installed. Some functions might not be available, but you can use workaround procedures instead. See our Frequently Asked Questions section below.
Step two: Print a document
Print from any software program to make sure your printer is working correctly.

Open a document in the software application in which it was created.
Click File , and then click Print .

I don't know if you tried the above, it is worth a shot anyway. Follow the instructions exactly including the way you plug in the usb wire.

Got it all from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 59307#N191
Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 am 

Hi Nastyman,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I already did that and also trying different ports but the computer is still detecting it as usb device and not the printer. The printer driver is already installed on the netbook but whenever I tried printing, it never prints although the status indicates that it is already printing :(

kurt :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Click on the Start Orb and type View Devices and Printers, when the window opens, does your printer show up there ?

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:05 am 

Hi,

yes it does, it is all my default printer.

kurt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

OK, I found a patch for the issue...I hope :wink:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Al ... d-p/203377

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 am 

Hi Nasty,

Yes I did that patch (posted in my first post) and it was not working for me. I was thinking it might have something to do with the usb converter that I am using? It works fine with my samsung notebook but it was not with the acer.

kurt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Is there a updated driver for the usb converter?

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
my solution would be to (if you have an available slot) is to buy a cheap parallel port add on card. do away with the adapters. I have never had much luck with them myself. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=parallel+port+card

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 am 

Hi

@ Nasty, I don't know about the update driver for the usb converter :cry:
@ GM Waters I have one like the Parallel Printer Adapter Cable which I attached to the printer and the usb goes to my netbook. But the netbook detects it as an unknown USB printer and not the HP printer. (even if i change the usb port I plug it on)

I'm not sure where I will attached the serial port card. (like the Rosewill Dual Serial Ports PCI card Model RC-301) to my netbook. :?:

thanks for the help, and hoping.

Kurt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:51 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
But the netbook detects it as an unknown USB printer and not the HP printer. (even if i change the usb port I plug it on)

Of course is says usb device and no a HP printer....you have to install the driver for the printer for it to be recognized.

Serial port devices for laptops:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... Submit=ENE

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:24 am 
Team Member
Team Member

You are using a USB to Parallel adapter correct? Did you first install the cable (with out the printer attached), then install the drivers for that printer? You will then have to configure the cable so the the computer sees it as printer port, you want to select LPT1. Sounds like when you installed it, you told the computer it was a USB printer, your printer is not USB, it is Parallel, so it needs a LPT connection. Remove all instances of the printer from your system, and start over with the cable install and configure first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:20 am 

nsvander wrote:
You are using a USB to Parallel adapter correct? Did you first install the cable (with out the printer attached), then install the drivers for that printer? You will then have to configure the cable so the the computer sees it as printer port, you want to select LPT1. Sounds like when you installed it, you told the computer it was a USB printer, your printer is not USB, it is Parallel, so it needs a LPT connection. Remove all instances of the printer from your system, and start over with the cable install and configure first.

@nsvander I never did the installation of the cable as when I connect it to my old samsung netbook it automatically detected it as the hp printer. So i never imagine that I have to configure the cable :shock: for the acer netbook.

I'll try doing what you suggest and get back to you as soon I finish with it. Thanks! :)

@ nasty - the cable do not include any cd's that i can install to my pc. Its just one of the generic cables :oops: out there.

ps: can anyone help me with the keyboard function of the acer one? I must have did something wrong because when I click on
the pipe symbol it shows ~ ; when I click shift + 2 it shows " (when it should have been the @ symbol being displayed), I was looking for help in the internet but cannot find one or I just don't know how you call it. :cry:

thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:37 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

No, not the cable, the machine comes with a manual and software/drivers disk, did you use either the driver disk or the new driver you downloaded to configure the printer? Configuration is done while installing the driver. If I remember right you have to start the installation of the driver BEFORE plugging the printer in. Then follow the instructions as the driver installs it will ask you to plug the printer in and configure what source the printer is using....LPT or USB. If you plugged the printer in first, you need to delete the printer from windows and uninstall any drivers for it, reboot and install new driver with anti-virus off.

I hate HP Printers that is why I don't buy them because they don't support them worth a damn.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:42 pm 

Nastyman wrote:
No, not the cable, the machine comes with a manual and software/drivers disk, did you use either the driver disk or the new driver you downloaded to configure the printer? Configuration is done while installing the driver. If I remember right you have to start the installation of the driver BEFORE plugging the printer in. Then follow the instructions as the driver installs it will ask you to plug the printer in and configure what source the printer is using....LPT or USB. If you plugged the printer in first, you need to delete the printer from windows and uninstall any drivers for it, reboot and install new driver with anti-virus off.

I hate HP Printers that is why I don't buy them because they don't support them worth a damn.

Nasty

yup did that, the installation is automatically on the LPT1 port. I screenshot what happened the hp driver is already installed but when i opened the hp printer, the netbook recognized it as usb 2.0 print.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k50 ... 235011.png
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k50 ... 234923.png

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:39 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
Note: the proper port to select for the USB-Parallel converters is often USB001:. I have heard of some cases where the port was USB002: or LPT3:

Excerpt above taken from your first post, so according to that quote you are using the wrong LPT port, it should be LPT3 and not LPT1. Try that and see if it fixes the issue.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 am 

Nastyman wrote:
Quote:
Note: the proper port to select for the USB-Parallel converters is often USB001:. I have heard of some cases where the port was USB002: or LPT3:

Excerpt above taken from your first post, so according to that quote you are using the wrong LPT port, it should be LPT3 and not LPT1. Try that and see if it fixes the issue.

Nasty

Hi Nasty,

sorry I was away on a business trip. I tried plugging and unplugging + changing the default port but it is not working. Can you recommend a printer that would work with an acer aspire one netbook? An affordable one that can print and scan or just print?
I decided to give the hp printer to my niece not worth the stress I'm getting. :(

thanks