Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: built new computer but windows won't installl
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:39 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

so as the title says.....i built a new computer here's the specs:
mobo-gigabyte k8nsnxp-939 (nforce3 ultra)
processor-amd athlon 64 fx-53 socket 939
memory- 1gb (2 sticks of 512) mushkin ddr3200 level 1
video-geforce 6800gt 256mb
sound-soundblaster audigy 2 gamer
hdd's-1 western digital 10k 36gb and 1 western digital 7200rpm 160gb
and a sony dvd and sony dvd+-rw

i hope i got everything, but the problem is when i go to install windows it doesent get very far. it formats the drive as an ntfs drive then when it says "setup is copying the files needed for intallation" it comes up with a blue screen that says "a probelm has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" then it goes on to give me an error message, but the strange thing is that it doesnt give the same one every time.

these are the error message numbers:
STOP 0x000000D1 DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP 0x00000024 NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

i checked the windows site but the answers it gave me arent much help

someone please help me!!!!!! :( :!: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:09 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

http://www.memtest86.com/

Download this, and stick it on either a bootable floppy or burn it to a bootable CD. It'll check all your RAM and make sure your RAM is ok because it sounds like your RAM is no good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:12 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

try testing the ram out. bootup with the ram one at a time. also switch ram slots and see if that helps too. hmmm......i got the first two errors back in the day with my old system but i forgot what i did to fix it.

do you have any addon cards on your pci slot at all? also since you have a WD hdd, try testing it for errors with the disk utility floppy that came with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:13 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

also i forgot one other thing, try reseating your computer parts over again. take out all your computer parts out of the comp case and put them back again. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

so i ran the memory program that flytrap said and it came up with errors, so i assume that means my ram is messed up, unless i am reading the program wrong. so if anybody has more suggestions i would love to hear them before i give newegg a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:33 pm 

You did discharge electricity from yourself before you put in your RAM sticks, right? I hope so, becuz you'd be surprised how much you can damage a component becuz of the electrical charge you build up in your body if your walking around on carpet with socks on (not saying that isn't normal, just that you need to ground yourself before touching any computer components).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:19 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

so after figuring out that it was my memory i pulled out one of the sticks of ram and low and behold my computer works. in fact im typing this response on it right now. but now i have a new problem (other than i only have 512mb of ram in single channel mode) when i run FarCry the game randomly crashes and restarts my computer after 10 minutes, then when the system restarts if i try to start the game again it reboots again. it cant be a heat problem i have 2 120mm case fans running at full speed, and a zalman HSF on my proc. and it cant be a power thing cause i have an antec TruBlue 480 Watt PSU. im gonna do all the windows updates and the FarCry patch and see what happens. oh yeah i need to get on the phone with newegg to about my ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

94mustangv6 wrote:
so after figuring out that it was my memory i pulled out one of the sticks of ram and low and behold my computer works. in fact im typing this response on it right now. but now i have a new problem (other than i only have 512mb of ram in single channel mode) when i run FarCry the game randomly crashes and restarts my computer after 10 minutes, then when the system restarts if i try to start the game again it reboots again. it cant be a heat problem i have 2 120mm case fans running at full speed, and a zalman HSF on my proc. and it cant be a power thing cause i have an antec TruBlue 480 Watt PSU. im gonna do all the windows updates and the FarCry patch and see what happens. oh yeah i need to get on the phone with newegg to about my ram.

It sounds like a heat problem, but as you said, its likely not.
Does the your motherboard have two power connectors? I remember some nForce2 boards required a 4-pin connection to supply extra power to the cpu. That's just a though.....

Do you have the latest video card/chipset drivers? That would be the second thing I'd check out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:14 pm 

Any thermal paste between the zalman and the processor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

yes i have the most recent video driver, and i have installed every windows update except for the messenger and movie maker. and the bios was the the first thing i upgraded. underneath the zalman is arctic silver 5, but im thinking that if when i get my ram back and it still gives me the blue screen of death i will pull the hsf off and make sure i have enough, just as a precaution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You don't need much, very little infact. It's only there to fill in any imperfections that could trap air and act as an insulator. If it's oozing out, you've got way too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:25 am 

was there any sticker or some insulator on the bottem heat sink where it makes contact with the CPU?.... ive had that happen before and spent a week trying to figure it out :oops:

-Cleatis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:47 am 

94mustangv6 wrote:
when i run FarCry the game randomly crashes and restarts my computer after 10 minutes, then when the system restarts if i try to start the game again it reboots again.

Did you try doing the MemTest on just that one stick of RAM that appears to be working?

Post subject: vid card
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:33 am 

If it's only crashing with FarCry...

Did you overclock the video card? Did you check that the fan on the card is in fact spinning? Try ramping down the settings on the video card & see if your still having trouble. Are you letting the bios set your memory timings, or did you fiddle with them? Try lowering the size of your agp aperature in the bios.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:08 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

dargon: i dont think i put too much on because i was afraid of of the oozing so i wonder if i didnt put enough on.

Cleatis: there was a thermal sticker on the bottom of the stock HSF, but i used the Zalman HSF so i had to use a different thermal compund and i used arctic silver 5.

Flytrap7: i did a MemTest on just the one stick of ram and it came up with no errors, then after i restartd my computer windows started to load and kicked me to a blue screen and said "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" which is another memory error message.

Billbo1970: with FarCry it crashes and reboots the entire computer. Then i just loaded UT2004 last night and that runs for about another 10 minutes and dumps me to the desktop. This thing is so weird. I didn't overclock my comp at all. I just want it to work fine normally. the bios is setting everything itsself.

i already have the RMA stuff printed out and im going to send the memory back either today or tommorow.

Post subject: game crashes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:35 am 

this is USUALLY, but not always caused be video card problems, not the memory. Make sure you're running the right driver & the latest driver. Make sure the fan on the card is spinning. When it crashes out, turn off the PC & open the case... is the video card hot? Try & route all your cables so they aren't coming anywhere near your video card. Is the PSU in the case upside down? If it has a second fan (not out the back), it should be pointing down, into the case.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:15 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

yes the psu is mounted the right way. geez i been building computers for a few years now, this is just the first time i have built one that didnt work the first time. but i will have to check the video card the next time it crashes. i loaded and played halo this afternoon before i sent the ram off, and halo ran fine. it didnt boot me to the desktop or restart my comp, even after 45 minutes. oh well i will have to wait till my new ram comes to to see whats up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:39 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Maybe it just needs some "break-in" time.

I upped to a X800 and it would act screwey every once in a while when I was playing Farcry.

After a few days, it worked fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:17 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

well the memory is on its way back to new egg and i am awaiting an RMA# from evga.com so i can send the 6800 back. im not sure the video is the problem i just want to have all my bases covered so i dont have to worry about this crap after i leave for college (which is the main reason i built the machine). im just nervous it wont be fixed before the 18th (the day i leave).

Post subject: Video Card problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:51 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I am willing to bet the error in general are stemming from your video card in general not he drivers. You said you've been building computers for years so I'll cross my fingers that you have an old card in another machine you can test with.

If not the problem, well just smack me :D The other thing it could be but don't think it would be is the board itself. SWEET SYSTEM BTW!!!!