Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:24 am 

Hello everyone,

I cannot get any sound when I plug my headphones into either of my optical drives. I used to do this all the time to listen to music after the wife is alseep and things like that. I haven't done it since moving up to XP Professional last year, and now it seems that Xp has an issue with this somehow.

The headphones have been checked on other equipment, and they function. Both of my optical drives are reasonably modern. The CDR is about 2 years old, and the DVD Burner is brand new.

No settings I can find seems to have any effect, and a friend who was having the same problem a few months ago (he runs XP Home), gave up and plugged his phones into the back of his soundcard.

I did a serach on Google and came up with one site that listed a post about the same problem. In order to view the solution you had to sign-up at $10.00 a month. Now, it amy have been a fake designed to get someone to sign up their credit cards, or it may have been real (didn't research further); but either way. $10.00 a month for a goofy tech question like this once or twice a year? Nope.

I would surely appreciate any help that anyone can offer with this issue.

Have a great day!!

Peace/Faith/Hope/Love

Loren :)

Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:46 am 
I am not my computer's stats

Please reply to me with your system specifications (OS and computer type).

I need to know if you are allowed (by warranty if an OEM, eg: Dell, Gateway, etc) to open the case.

Usually when you are getting no sound from the CDROM headphone jack it is due to wiring inside the case. There is a small wire that connects your sound card directly to your CDROM to enable it to play sound through the headphone jack. It might not be there or it might be not connect properly.

Also, try to turn up the CDROM volume on the face plate...sometimes we forgot stupid things.

Anyways, reply with your computer specifications and we can better help you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:01 am 
Willamette
Willamette

maxxpc wrote:
Please reply to me with your system specifications (OS and computer type).

I need to know if you are allowed (by warranty if an OEM, eg: Dell, Gateway, etc) to open the case.

Usually when you are getting no sound from the CDROM headphone jack it is due to wiring inside the case. There is a small wire that connects your sound card directly to your CDROM to enable it to play sound through the headphone jack. It might not be there or it might be not connect properly.

Also, try to turn up the CDROM volume on the face plate...sometimes we forgot stupid things.

Anyways, reply with your computer specifications and we can better help you.

He's got a point about the internal audio-out cable of the CD-rom.

If your retailer allows you to open up your case without voiding the warranty (or if you built it yourself), make sure that your audio-out (either two-pin or four-pin) wire is connected to the mobo or soundcard connector for it.

From this page search for "Installing the Drive Internally" to see where the wire would go on the CD-rom: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/CD_Rom_Guide.shtml

"There might also be an audio out cable (two to four wires) that connects to a sound card. This connection will allow you to take full advantage of the audio capabilities of the CD-ROM drive."

This is what the cord looks like: http://www.national-tech.com/specs/11a1-10425.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:03 am 

Thank you for going above and beyond. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:11 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

maxxpc wrote:

I would also like to add that there is often a headphone jack on the sound card output.

Sure, its in the back. But a quick trip to the R-Shack and you just pick up a patch (male stereo to female stereo) cord - and leave it pluged in so you can patch into it at any time. Make sure it is Stereo. I use tiny pieces of velcro to stick such things on when I am no using them. You control volume from windows.

Manta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:12 am 

MantaBase wrote:
maxxpc wrote:

I would also like to add that there is often a headphone jack on the sound card output.

Sure, its in the back. But a quick trip to the R-Shack and you just pick up a patch (male stereo to female stereo) cord - and leave it pluged in so you can patch into it at any time. Make sure it is Stereo. I use tiny pieces of velcro to stick such things on when I am no using them. You control volume from windows.

Manta

He doesn't want to do that. He just wants to plug it right into the CDROM, but that might be one of his only options...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:15 am 
Willamette
Willamette

maxxpc wrote:

He doesn't want to do that. He just wants to plug it right into the CDROM, but that might be one of his only options...

You'd have to assume that since he only does this when his wife is asleep that he also has speakers that are too loud for her to sleep...

Kinda wondering why those don't have a nice little headphone jack on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:40 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

serloren wrote:
Hello everyone,

I cannot get any sound when I plug my headphones into either of my optical drives. I used to do this all the time to listen to music after the wife is alseep and things like that. I haven't done it since moving up to XP Professional last year, and now it seems that Xp has an issue with this somehow.

The headphones have been checked on other equipment, and they function. Both of my optical drives are reasonably modern. The CDR is about 2 years old, and the DVD Burner is brand new.

No settings I can find seems to have any effect, and a friend who was having the same problem a few months ago (he runs XP Home), gave up and plugged his phones into the back of his soundcard.

I did a serach on Google and came up with one site that listed a post about the same problem. In order to view the solution you had to sign-up at $10.00 a month. Now, it amy have been a fake designed to get someone to sign up their credit cards, or it may have been real (didn't research further); but either way. $10.00 a month for a goofy tech question like this once or twice a year? Nope.

I would surely appreciate any help that anyone can offer with this issue.

Have a great day!!

Peace/Faith/Hope/Love

Loren :)

This might seem a little basic in question. But have you made sure through the volume controls in Windows that the sound for the CD is not muted. I went to a friends computer who was having the same problem. I double clicked ont he little speaker by the clock and the CD had been muted. Clicking the Mute box fix this persons problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:10 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

maxxpc wrote:

And I was only offering the option :)

seems unlikely that its a cable issue if they worked before an OS upgrade. Maybe the "mute" box is checked?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Theer was an Ask teh Doctor about this issue. The jack on the front of the CD-ROM doesn't work unless you disable digital audio in the Device Manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:07 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

deject wrote:
Theer was an Ask teh Doctor about this issue. The jack on the front of the CD-ROM doesn't work unless you disable digital audio in the Device Manager.

Wow - tyhat was a solution to the "computer restarts when I play audio CD's" thread too.

Good to know

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:50 pm 

Hi everyone,

Appreciate all the thoughts, ideas, etc, but looks like jacking into the soundcard IS the only option at this point. To answer other folks questions and such:

M810LR motherboard
Creative Labs Live 5.1
52X CDR
8X8X DVD Burner
Koss TD/60's
(At least the parts thta should apply<g>)
Windows XP Professional

No worries about offending me with "possible" ideas, years of being called in to fix other folks issues, and of slapping myself in the head with ahearty "Doh!" over ones of my own have taught me: ANYONE can (and often will) overlook the simplest answer.

CDBurner, 2 years old.
DVD Burner 2 days old <g>.
Both are installed and functioning with zero probelms (excepting of course this whole headphone thing).
CDRom is master, DVD is slave.
Both have audio cables firmly attached to themselves and to the board.
Disabled digital functions on each of them, and also changed settings in Media Player to analog (even though I never use that program (I'm a WinAmp kinda guy)).

Methinks I am just hosed for anything other than soundcard jack at this point. *shrug*

Thanks again for all the tips and ideas though.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone!

Peace/Faith/Hope/Love

Loren :wink: