Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:24 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:16 am
Posts: 2
Location: Milwaukee
Hello everyone,

I cannot get any sound when I plug my headphones into either of my optical drives. I used to do this all the time to listen to music after the wife is alseep and things like that. I haven't done it since moving up to XP Professional last year, and now it seems that Xp has an issue with this somehow.

The headphones have been checked on other equipment, and they function. Both of my optical drives are reasonably modern. The CDR is about 2 years old, and the DVD Burner is brand new.

No settings I can find seems to have any effect, and a friend who was having the same problem a few months ago (he runs XP Home), gave up and plugged his phones into the back of his soundcard.

I did a serach on Google and came up with one site that listed a post about the same problem. In order to view the solution you had to sign-up at $10.00 a month. Now, it amy have been a fake designed to get someone to sign up their credit cards, or it may have been real (didn't research further); but either way. $10.00 a month for a goofy tech question like this once or twice a year? Nope.

I would surely appreciate any help that anyone can offer with this issue.

Have a great day!!

Peace/Faith/Hope/Love

Loren :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:46 am 
I am not my computer's stats
I am not my computer's stats
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:33 pm
Posts: 566
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Please reply to me with your system specifications (OS and computer type).

I need to know if you are allowed (by warranty if an OEM, eg: Dell, Gateway, etc) to open the case.

Usually when you are getting no sound from the CDROM headphone jack it is due to wiring inside the case. There is a small wire that connects your sound card directly to your CDROM to enable it to play sound through the headphone jack. It might not be there or it might be not connect properly.

Also, try to turn up the CDROM volume on the face plate...sometimes we forgot stupid things.

Anyways, reply with your computer specifications and we can better help you.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:01 am 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:33 pm
Posts: 1294
Location: Georgia Tech
maxxpc wrote:
Please reply to me with your system specifications (OS and computer type).

I need to know if you are allowed (by warranty if an OEM, eg: Dell, Gateway, etc) to open the case.

Usually when you are getting no sound from the CDROM headphone jack it is due to wiring inside the case. There is a small wire that connects your sound card directly to your CDROM to enable it to play sound through the headphone jack. It might not be there or it might be not connect properly.

Also, try to turn up the CDROM volume on the face plate...sometimes we forgot stupid things.

Anyways, reply with your computer specifications and we can better help you.


He's got a point about the internal audio-out cable of the CD-rom.

If your retailer allows you to open up your case without voiding the warranty (or if you built it yourself), make sure that your audio-out (either two-pin or four-pin) wire is connected to the mobo or soundcard connector for it.

From this page search for "Installing the Drive Internally" to see where the wire would go on the CD-rom: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/CD_Rom_Guide.shtml

"There might also be an audio out cable (two to four wires) that connects to a sound card. This connection will allow you to take full advantage of the audio capabilities of the CD-ROM drive."

This is what the cord looks like: http://www.national-tech.com/specs/11a1-10425.htm


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:03 am 
I am not my computer's stats
I am not my computer's stats
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:33 pm
Posts: 566
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Thank you for going above and beyond. :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:11 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
maxxpc wrote:
Thank you for going above and beyond. :D


I would also like to add that there is often a headphone jack on the sound card output.

Sure, its in the back. But a quick trip to the R-Shack and you just pick up a patch (male stereo to female stereo) cord - and leave it pluged in so you can patch into it at any time. Make sure it is Stereo. I use tiny pieces of velcro to stick such things on when I am no using them. You control volume from windows.

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:12 am 
I am not my computer's stats
I am not my computer's stats
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:33 pm
Posts: 566
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
MantaBase wrote:
maxxpc wrote:
Thank you for going above and beyond. :D


I would also like to add that there is often a headphone jack on the sound card output.

Sure, its in the back. But a quick trip to the R-Shack and you just pick up a patch (male stereo to female stereo) cord - and leave it pluged in so you can patch into it at any time. Make sure it is Stereo. I use tiny pieces of velcro to stick such things on when I am no using them. You control volume from windows.

Manta


He doesn't want to do that. He just wants to plug it right into the CDROM, but that might be one of his only options...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:15 am 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:33 pm
Posts: 1294
Location: Georgia Tech
maxxpc wrote:

He doesn't want to do that. He just wants to plug it right into the CDROM, but that might be one of his only options...


You'd have to assume that since he only does this when his wife is asleep that he also has speakers that are too loud for her to sleep...

Kinda wondering why those don't have a nice little headphone jack on them.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:40 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:13 pm
Posts: 817
Location: Missouri
serloren wrote:
Hello everyone,

I cannot get any sound when I plug my headphones into either of my optical drives. I used to do this all the time to listen to music after the wife is alseep and things like that. I haven't done it since moving up to XP Professional last year, and now it seems that Xp has an issue with this somehow.

The headphones have been checked on other equipment, and they function. Both of my optical drives are reasonably modern. The CDR is about 2 years old, and the DVD Burner is brand new.

No settings I can find seems to have any effect, and a friend who was having the same problem a few months ago (he runs XP Home), gave up and plugged his phones into the back of his soundcard.

I did a serach on Google and came up with one site that listed a post about the same problem. In order to view the solution you had to sign-up at $10.00 a month. Now, it amy have been a fake designed to get someone to sign up their credit cards, or it may have been real (didn't research further); but either way. $10.00 a month for a goofy tech question like this once or twice a year? Nope.

I would surely appreciate any help that anyone can offer with this issue.

Have a great day!!

Peace/Faith/Hope/Love

Loren :)


This might seem a little basic in question. But have you made sure through the volume controls in Windows that the sound for the CD is not muted. I went to a friends computer who was having the same problem. I double clicked ont he little speaker by the clock and the CD had been muted. Clicking the Mute box fix this persons problem.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Any help on headphones/Xp issue appreciated...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:10 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
maxxpc wrote:

He doesn't want to do that. He just wants to plug it right into the CDROM, but that might be one of his only options...


And I was only offering the option :)

seems unlikely that its a cable issue if they worked before an OS upgrade. Maybe the "mute" box is checked?

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 568
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Theer was an Ask teh Doctor about this issue. The jack on the front of the CD-ROM doesn't work unless you disable digital audio in the Device Manager.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:07 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 3731
Location: Las Vegas
deject wrote:
Theer was an Ask teh Doctor about this issue. The jack on the front of the CD-ROM doesn't work unless you disable digital audio in the Device Manager.


Wow - tyhat was a solution to the "computer restarts when I play audio CD's" thread too.

Good to know

Manta


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:50 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:16 am
Posts: 2
Location: Milwaukee
Hi everyone,

Appreciate all the thoughts, ideas, etc, but looks like jacking into the soundcard IS the only option at this point. To answer other folks questions and such:

M810LR motherboard
Creative Labs Live 5.1
52X CDR
8X8X DVD Burner
Koss TD/60's
(At least the parts thta should apply<g>)
Windows XP Professional

No worries about offending me with "possible" ideas, years of being called in to fix other folks issues, and of slapping myself in the head with ahearty "Doh!" over ones of my own have taught me: ANYONE can (and often will) overlook the simplest answer.

CDBurner, 2 years old.
DVD Burner 2 days old <g>.
Both are installed and functioning with zero probelms (excepting of course this whole headphone thing).
CDRom is master, DVD is slave.
Both have audio cables firmly attached to themselves and to the board.
Disabled digital functions on each of them, and also changed settings in Media Player to analog (even though I never use that program (I'm a WinAmp kinda guy)).

Methinks I am just hosed for anything other than soundcard jack at this point. *shrug*

Thanks again for all the tips and ideas though.

Have a great day tomorrow everyone!

Peace/Faith/Hope/Love

Loren :wink:


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.