Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Partition Magic 8
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:42 pm 

First, my apologies if this has been covered. My search for Partition Magic 8 yielded 66 results and over a 1000 posts to wade through. :roll: Soooo... I thought I'd post again and hope for the best.

I've had been using Partition Magic 7 on my old laptop. It had a floppy drive. My new laptop boots from the CD with no "A" drive so I purchased Symantec's Partition Magic 8. With it, even the "Quick Start Guide" says you don't need floppies. You can boot from the CD.

The problem? Neither the "Quick Start Guide" or the 139 page "User's Manual" give instructions on how to launch "Partition Magic" from the CD. :roll: I bought my first computer in '98 and never learned DOS. The /? prompt yields commands with no explanation as to what they do. :( When I boot from the CD I get the following screen...

"You booted from the Symantec Bootable CD.
The A: drive is the bootable portion of this CD. You can access DOS and Symantec troubleshooting Utilities from A: drive.
The main Symantec utilities and programs are in y: drive. (Who has a Y drive??? Fish.)
If you did not mean to boot from this CD, please eject it and reboot your system.

1. Norton Partition Magic
2. Boot Magic
3. Dos

Then the computer boots to Dos. Every attempt to launch Partiton Magic 8 results in a: "Command or filename not recognized." response. :evil:

I even tried making rescue dics on an external floppy and copying the files to CD without success. When I try to apply changes in "Boot mode" from windows, the operation will complete 99% and give me a 302 error message (the file could not be created) which isn't even in the book. The closest is 602. When I reopen Partition Magic, it shows the changes have been made. They haven't. I know because a failed installation of "Boot Magic" rendered my computer unbootable. :evil: Restoring disks C and D with Drive Image 7 did not correct the problem and I had to reinstall XP Pro on C to get the computer to boot.

Can anyone tell me how to launch Partition Magic 8 from the CD? Should I demand a refund and use Partition Commannder instead? Any help would be appreciated. I refuse to pay Symantec $30 for information that should have been included with the product. :roll: Even Microsoft has free online help. Sheesh!!! Thanks in advance!

Fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm not sure how to solve the problem - but have you tried getting the cd to work on someone else's computer (no risk there - just choose Norton Partition Magic (1) when the menu comes up and then quit).

It might be helpful to post the exact steps you take to get your error messages (if you can re-create them without having to re-format & re-install).

Respectfully,
Jacob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:06 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

did you check for the Y: drive? it could be a virtual drive PM8 created while it was booting, much like the RAM Disk. check that first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:57 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

fishnet wrote:

"You booted from the Symantec Bootable CD.
The A: drive is the bootable portion of this CD. You can access DOS and Symantec troubleshooting Utilities from A: drive.
The main Symantec utilities and programs are in y: drive."

If you did not mean to boot from this CD, please eject it and reboot your system.

1. Norton Partition Magic
2. Boot Magic
3. DOS

It would be helpful if you posted your computer specs, especially if you have an odd setup that might relate to the problems you post about.

Username (sorry...emanresu) is right on. The Partition Magic 8 cd creates two virtual drives - the A: & Y: Look at the bolded part of your earlier post above.

If you don't choose an option (Press 1, 2, or 3 for Partition Magic, Boot Magic or DOS, respectively), it will automatically go to DOS to avoid any problems (like your younger brother/youngest son pounding on the keyboard, re-partitioning your hard drive and then offering to give you a sloppy kiss as he tells you how he's learned how to play on the computer....a perfectly hypothetical situation, of course). Probably why it keeps jumping to DOS.

I've never had any problems with the program - never had to use the CD. I recommend updating your software (Partition Magic Update (8.01)). But if you'd prefer not to risk having to re-boot & re-install, I'd recommend trying the CD again. Choose the first option and follow the instructions from there.

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in seeing if its a program problem, a bad cd or user error (happens to everybody) - I have Partition Magic 8 and any possible problems would be nice to know about.

Respectfully,
Jacob

(By the way, I found a Symantec's free online support via e-mail. Might be worth a try if nothing else works. You'll have to wade through some drop-down menus and probably wait a bit for an answer, but they might be able to help as well. Click here to get there)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:00 pm 

Thanks for the responses guys!!! :D

CS, it was attempitng to install and run Boot Magic from instructions in the quick start guide that got me in trouble. There are extra steps for NTFS partitions only. If I hadn't been in a hurry and had printed out the 139 page User Guide first, I wouldn't have had to do the reinstall. My bad! :(

I didn't post the computer specs simply because it's a stock Vaio PCG-FVR26. 2.8 Intel Pentium 4 Proc, 40 gig HD and 1 gig of RAM. Nothing unusual. It's dual boot with XP Pro SP2 RC2 on D and XP Pro SP1 on C.

My CD is Version 8.05. Thanks for the link to the free e-mail support!!!!

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to launch PM from the CD but it worked 3 out of 6 times. LOL. Guess my fingers aren't fast enough. :roll: Right after the screen says "y:drive" a "-" appears on the screen. If I hit "1 enter" quickly enough, PM launched. If I am too slow, I get a dos screen with a choice of languages. After Dos launches, any attempt to select 1,2 or 3 just results in Invalid command or filename not recognized error. I will write tech support. There has to be a proper dos prompt if you aren't quick enough. I was able to get in and partition the disk the way I wanted. Thanks again for the responses. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:37 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Fishnet,

That is the proper way to load Partition Magic. If you're unable to hit one in time (strange that you have such a short time to do that), go to the Y: in DOS - the virtual drive created by the Partition Magic CD - and look around for the Partition Magic executable. I'm sorry that I can't tell you where it is, I'm out of the US and far, far away from my computer. Still, I imagine that the folders are easily recognizable, since the CD is meant to be used in DOS.

Glad to hear it all worked out.

Respectfully,
Jacob