Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WinXP is pre-empting my image viewer...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Is there a way to disable the automatic program that pops up in WinXP so I can use ACDSee to view my files without right clicking?

Even though ACDSee is set as the default program, double-clicking a jpeg will open up the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer instead of my ACDSee. When I right click it shows that "preview" is the default option.

Thus the question is, is there a registry hack or something that I can do to silence the Windoze Pic & Fax Viewer crap?

thnx...

Post subject: Re: WinXP is pre-empting my image viewer...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:11 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

deject wrote:
Is there a way to disable the automatic program that pops up in WinXP so I can use ACDSee to view my files without right clicking?

Folder options, file types, scroll down to jpeg, change default program used to open jpegs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:36 am 
Team Member
Team Member

No see that's the problem, ACDSee IS the default problem for all of my picture files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:41 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

deject wrote:
No see that's the problem, ACDSee IS the default problem for all of my picture files.

Look, do what I said and you will see which program opens jpegs. Change it to what you want. No more problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Dude, this Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is just coming up no matter what program I select to use with JPEGs. That is what I'm saying. I just did what you said (only to humor you) and it didn't work.

In the file types tab this Pic & Fax viewer is nowhere to be found along with the "Preview" entry that appears when I right-click.

Post subject: Re: WinXP is pre-empting my image viewer...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:25 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

deject wrote:

Even though ACDSee is set as the default program, double-clicking a jpeg will open up the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer instead of my ACDSee. When I right click it shows that "preview" is the default option.

Thus the question is, is there a registry hack or something that I can do to silence the Windoze Pic & Fax Viewer crap?

thnx...

Have you tried:

Rightclick on thumbnail or file, goto open with, select "choose program" (even if the one you want is already there), select program you want to open it with and check the box thats says "always open with this program.....blahblahblah"

It works for me. Unfortuanatly you have to do it for each file type.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

ACDSee is set as the default program for all its supported file types, AND it is set to always open with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:14 pm 

From MaximumPC "Windows XP Special Summer Issue".... Page 71

Turn Off Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Start/Run/Regedit/OK

Navigate to... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers. Delete the ShellImagePreview key. Close regedit and the change takes place immediately.

Don't take my word for it look it up. LOL. Hack Nine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

fishnet wrote:
From MaximumPC "Windows XP Special Summer Issue".... Page 71

Turn Off Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Start/Run/Regedit/OK

Navigate to... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers. Delete the ShellImagePreview key. Close regedit and the change takes place immediately.

Don't take my word for it look it up. LOL. Hack Nine.

That's the ticket!

thanks man, worked like a charm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:45 pm 

Glad I could help!!! I'm just a "Geek in training." LOL. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I have that issue, I just haven't had the time to run through all the tweaks yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:05 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

deject wrote:
ACDSee is set as the default program for all its supported file types, AND it is set to always open with it.

Deject,

I don't mean to beat a dead horse especially since you got the registry solution, But did you actually try what I said? Its a bit late now I realize, but I need to know if it worked or did not work. The reason is, it worked for me - although I set it to PS not ACDC.

It is not nessecerily the same as having everything set for defualt in the program or doing what was suggested above.

If not, thats kewl - If so, thats kewl as well. But telling if you did exactly what I said will help other folks in the future when this problem comes up. Especially for those that don't want to shut off the fax viewer (not all imaging programs can see all formats the viewer can).

Thanx - and glad you got the hack - I was looking for it when I saw the new post.

Also, can ACDC see .img or .imq files?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hi manta,

I think deject's problem is not with what application you associate with... it is a problem with the shell context menu, which one to be the default action, preview or open. by default, the default action is preview, not open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:11 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

emanresu wrote:
hi manta,

I think deject's problem is not with what application you associate with... it is a problem with the shell context menu, which one to be the default action, preview or open. by default, the default action is preview, not open.

I guess what I don't understand is that when I did what I said to do above, my images open in PS weather I hit preview or open or double click the file. Before that they always opened in The Pic and fax viewer. The fact that I had told PS during install to associate all images formats with PS made no difference. I had to go in and change each file type under the (well, like I siad above). I am trying to find out if he tried it (specifically) and it didn't work - or if he assumed he had already done it because he had set a number of things to defualt in different places.

I am running XP pro.

I am not say my solution is better, or even that it would work for him - just trying to find out if he tried it.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm think I tried it but I can't remember for sure. I'll let you know next time I re-install...

:D