Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: High temps and slow net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I just added 2 80mm fans blowing out. I hoped this would help my CPU temp problem it did not. I am running a AMD T-bread 2600+ (non O/C) with a idle temp of 68C and it cools down during load ?! When I put the fans in the case I cleanded every speck of dust out of the H/S and every other little nook and cranny. My case has 5 80mm fans. It sounds like a 747 having trouble taking off :p Also my Telus so called "high speed" ADSL is running at nomore that 30 kb/s :?: If someone could help me with these little probs that would be better that paying a arm and a leg for PC shop fees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:26 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

What heat transfer compound did you use betwen your CPU and Fan/Heatsink? Try Artic Silver Five for the compound and go to their website for instructions on how to clean the old compound you used off and applying their compound. Follow their instructions to the letter! I think the heat problem will go away.

Your highspeed internet problem may be on the providers side, give them a call and tell them you aren't getting any speed.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:58 am 

Make sure the heatsink you're using is actually rated for that processor, as I have seen it cause overheating issues in the past. If you are running XP, flushing DNS and resetting routing may help the DSL speed issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Its just a stocked from a store so i have no clue whek kinda compound it came with. And I know the heat sink is the right size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:58 am 
Northwood
Northwood

definitely use artic silver 5 which is alot better than those generic crappy themral compound materials. you can use alcohol to take the generic compound off the cpu core and apply the artic silver.

make sure you buy the 91% isopropyl alcohol. i dont know why but someone here recommended me it. i guess that the thing is that the alcohol dries very fast. i was cleaning my cpu core recently and the alcohol dried in less than 1min. i was kinda scared so i let it sit for 10min before i put the cpu back in the mobo cpu socket.

i used qtips and dip it into the alcohol. you can also use the alcohol to clean the bottom of your HSF. good luck

Post subject: Re: High temps and slow net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:14 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

DefaultPeanut wrote:
I just added 2 80mm fans blowing out. I hoped this would help my CPU temp problem it did not. I am running a AMD T-bread 2600+ (non O/C) with a idle temp of 68C and it cools down during load ?! When I put the fans in the case I cleanded every speck of dust out of the H/S and every other little nook and cranny. My case has 5 80mm fans. It sounds like a 747 having trouble taking off :p Also my Telus so called "high speed" ADSL is running at nomore that 30 kb/s :?: If someone could help me with these little probs that would be better that paying a arm and a leg for PC shop fees.

I am not that experienced with CPU and heatsinks, but I have head that size does not matter. It must be compatible with that CPU and not just the socket size and shape.

As for the DSL connection, you can download free network diagnostic software that will help you determine if there is a bottleneck somewhere or if the problems is coming from you computer configuration or from the router or outside the router.

www.pcpitstop.com also has some good net speed testers as well as other testers that might be useful. They are all free. Also scan with a free AV program like AVG (www.grisoft.com), spyware removal program like Ad-aware (www.lavasoft.de) or Spy Sweeper (www.webroot.com), and use an online virus scanner like Housecall (housecall.trendmicro.com) or Panda Software (www.pandasoftware.com). These will help.

Lots of people also like Spybot S&D, but I do not personally like it but you might have better luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:42 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

first, make sure that the cpu and heatsink are touching each other. if it is just the cpu touching the thermal compound, then there was too much of the thermal pad on the heatsink, or you put too much thermal paste. if you are using the thermal pad provided on the hs, then it should have liquified already at those temps, so you should clean up the mess, and reseat. if you used arctic silver or any thermal paste, follow the directions at arcticsilver.com.

make sure that none of the wires inside of your case are blocking any of the fans in your computer. if your case looks like a "rat's nest", it'll be worth your time to buy rounded cables, wire looms, and wire ties, and then planning out where you should place the wires inside the case so that they dont disrupt air flow.

Post subject: Re: High temps and slow net
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:39 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

DefaultPeanut wrote:

Just out of curiosty - what are you using to get your temp measurement?

Also - how tidy is the inside of your system (cable wise). Did the new fans make any change? Are all your fans pointing out? Why 5?

I am sure you checked, but what is your proc activity at idle? May sound silly, but just confirm it is really at idle. When you say it drops during load, how much? I am not an AMD person, but 68C seems hot even for an AMD.

Thermal compound wise - are you sure you have some at all? I have heard (from a not so reliable source) also that some of the lower quality wax based kinds take time to break in. Source says that they don't work well at first when they are cold (when you boot). System will get hot, and then cool off. It goes away after a few weeks. I haven't heard this before myself - but this person is hit or miss. When he is right its usually about strange things like this *shrug*.

The slow internet thing could be related or a seperate issue. We can look at that later.

Artic Silver instructions are in the MRL of the modders folder BTW (incase you have trouble finding them at the site).

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:54 pm 

Whoa my AMD 2600+ is running at really high temps too. I am thinking about getting some new 80mm and a new hsf/ some AS5. Also a pci fan may help a bit, not too sure though.

Check this thread out for some info:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=932

~War