Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: After adding additional memory system resources don't imp.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:55 pm 

Hello Everybody,

I'm hoping to get some kind of answers for a friend of mine that I'm helping with his computer. His system is a Compaq 5280 (I think); 433mhz Celeron, had 96megs of ram (one 32meg dimm, that was the original in the system, and another 64meg sd chip), plenty of free hard drive space, etc. The computer is running Win98SE. Since the computer seemed to take a little long pulling up programs etc (lots of hard drive activity), I had made the suggestion of adding additional ram, that that should improve it alot. Well went to Comp USA and got some Centon ? 128meg SD Ram chips and added that to the system (took out the original 32meg and left the 64). The system resources didn't change but seemed to be a little bit lower (When I had checked it before the system resources were about 51-53%). So thinking that it was possibly that they Centon's weren't backwards compatible to a 66mhz bus speed, we went back the next night or two, and got a pair of PNY 100mhz sdram chips. Well.. to basically get to the crux of the problem.. having just the two brand new PNY Chips in there the system still is at around 47,48% or so.. and I don't understand why this is ocurring?? If you're wondering why I didn't leave the one original 64 meg Compaq dimm in there, I had heard that with Win98Se that there's some problem with Win98SE addressing or using properly any memory past 256megs.. (heard there's a patch out there, but don't know where to get it.. :(
Anyway, if anybody out there has some brilliant ideas.. just have never seen an instance or heard of (in my limited dealings with computers) adding more memory to a system and it doing really absolutely nothing.. lol Thank you very much for anyone offering solutions, and take care and God Bless!
One of these days, I'll have to post a fun one on my now ancient Packard Hell that hardly works anymore.. but at least enough for this post.. :twisted:

Sincerely,

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I think 98SE has problems psat 512MB, not 256.

That said, how large is his hard drive, the partition windows is installed on, and how much space is being used?

I'd also go for a defrag, scan for virii and spyware, and see what that gets you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The "System Resources" that you see is not related to the amount of RAM in the PC. It is a fixed amount on your RAM that windows uses for housekeeping chores. Adding more RAM is a good thing, but it won't help you if your System Resources are constantly drained.

Usually a program leeches the System Resources and doesn't release them after you've closed the program. To diagnose the problem, open msconfig and disable all startup programs, and re-enable them one by one to see which one is sucking your System Resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:27 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Both posts are definitely on the right track.

1.) Windows 98SE does have trouble with memory installs of over 512Mb.

2.) Ensure you are using PNY PC100 modules (CompUSA SKU's 298052 for 128Mb, 298051 for 256Mb). PNY PC133 memory will not clock down to 100 or 66MHZ speeds anymore. That's why they sell both speeds.

3.) I'd definitely check your start-up to see what is loading. If you have a lot of icons in your System Tray (Next to your clock), then you might be able to burn them off as Deject suggests.

4.) Also, as Someguy posted, do the following in this order: Virus Scan, Spyware Scan, Disk Check, Disk Defragmenter.

5.) Go into System Properties, and see how large your swap file is. A good rule of thumb for Win9x is to use a swap file of 2 to 2 1/2 times your memory. So if you have 256Mb installed, your swap file would be 640Mb.

6.) Also, as Someguy suggests, how much free space is on your hard drive. Once Win9x's hard drive is past 90% full, it really starts slowing down. You might want to uninstall programs you haven't used in a while, or archive older data files onto CD/Zip disks.

Please reply with your results. We're here to help.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:00 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

deject wrote:
To diagnose the problem, open msconfig and disable all startup programs, and re-enable them one by one to see which one is sucking your System Resources.

Whoa-hoa.

You dont want to disable ALL of them. That's asking for trouble.
You should only disable entires that you KNOW what they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

nothing critical is in the startup tab in msconfig. disabling all of them won't ruin your computer by itself, but yes if you have broadband and you disable your Anti-Virus and Firewall, it can cause you problems.

Post subject: Re: After adding additional memory system resources don't im
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:56 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

x0mage wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I'm hoping to get some kind of answers for a friend of mine that I'm helping with his computer. His system is a Compaq 5280 (I think); 433mhz Celeron, had 96megs of ram (one 32meg dimm, that was the original in the system, and another 64meg sd chip), plenty of free hard drive space, etc. The computer is running Win98SE. Since the computer seemed to take a little long pulling up programs etc (lots of hard drive activity), I had made the suggestion of adding additional ram, that that should improve it alot. Well went to Comp USA and got some Centon ? 128meg SD Ram chips and added that to the system (took out the original 32meg and left the 64). The system resources didn't change but seemed to be a little bit lower (When I had checked it before the system resources were about 51-53%). So thinking that it was possibly that they Centon's weren't backwards compatible to a 66mhz bus speed, we went back the next night or two, and got a pair of PNY 100mhz sdram chips. Well.. to basically get to the crux of the problem.. having just the two brand new PNY Chips in there the system still is at around 47,48% or so.. and I don't understand why this is ocurring?? If you're wondering why I didn't leave the one original 64 meg Compaq dimm in there, I had heard that with Win98Se that there's some problem with Win98SE addressing or using properly any memory past 256megs.. (heard there's a patch out there, but don't know where to get it.. :(
Anyway, if anybody out there has some brilliant ideas.. just have never seen an instance or heard of (in my limited dealings with computers) adding more memory to a system and it doing really absolutely nothing.. lol Thank you very much for anyone offering solutions, and take care and God Bless!
One of these days, I'll have to post a fun one on my now ancient Packard Hell that hardly works anymore.. but at least enough for this post.. :twisted:

Sincerely,

Shawn

Have you verified that your new RAM memory is being recognized by the computer? I have seen some where the clamp on the RAM slot does not go completely into the slot of the RAM stick. This can cause the RAM stick to become loose or even pop out of the slot on the mobo.

It could also be something as simple as the wrong type of RAM (my sister did this when she went shopping without consulting me) or just some bad RAM. Go online and download a RAM or system diagnostic tester and see if there are any results. It will require you to make a boot disk for the tester.