Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: KVM // The Click of Death!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am 

Hey,

This might be one for the Doctor, but I have been experiencing an odd problem: I recently setup a KVM switch for my dual monitor setup (Startech SV431DD2DUA http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/4-Port-Dual-DVI-USB-KVM-Switch-with-Audio-20-Hub~SV431DD2DUA).

Since the setup, while playing games on my primary rig (specs below), I've intermittently heard a clicking noise through my Logitech G35 headset and then subsequently my mouse and/or keyboard will "stall" (loss of input - ie. moving the mouse has no effect, or a key is still being pressed even though I'm off the button) for about a second on and off repeatedly in increasing stall-lengths until I get frustrated and bail. Its one of the stranger things I've experienced. While I initially (and still kinda) suspect the KVM, one consideration is that the G35 headset that I hear the clicking on is not connected to the KVM but instead directly to the computer's front USB port.

I've called Startech who claims its not the KVM (Shocker!) and suggests "re-plugging in the cables in a different order" (no wigiboards...?). But I should note that I have intermittent issues where the system will fail to see the G35 headset on boot, which I chalked up to [typical] 64-bit driver problems and is resolved by removing/reinserting the headset.

The precursory headset clicking leads me to suspect I might have a problem at my motherboard's level (USB controller?). I realize I need to spend more time troubleshooting every possible combination/step to get a more accurate picture, but was hoping someone could give me a tip on whats the likely culprit so I can know who to ragedial or what part to replace.

[Edit: I should state that after i exit the game once the "stall" episodes have started, they continue outside of the game just moving the mouse around the screen or typing on the keyboard.]

thanks,

chris

Intel i7-920
Asus P6TSE
Corsair ddr3 1600 6gb
EVGA GTX 285 SC
Patriot Torqx M28 128gb
Corsair H50 cooling
Corsair 750HX PSU
Thermaltake Element S
Win 7 64
Razer Lacheisis (sp?)
das Keyboard Model S ultimate

Post subject: Re: KVM // The Click of Death!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:07 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Look at the Event Viewer application and system logs for errors. This is always a good way to start the diagnostic process. Also look in the Device Manager for any problems....a driver may be corrupt or missing and needs to be reinstalled.

The psu can cause problems like this also.

Nasty