Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BSODs running rampant
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

So about a month ago, I had some BSODs pop up periodically. I eventually ran a fix on the Master Boot Record (MBR) and that seemed to alleviate the problem.

Well, the problem started slowly occurring again. It went from once in a while, to 50-50, to more-often-than-not, to basically everyday. Now, the computer will hang while I'm using it - and THAT is very annoying!

I've tried to perform the repair posted in MPC (2 issues ago). It came back as nothing is wrong. I ran a chkdsk, but I'm not sure where the log file is to see what the results were. I'm guessing nothing's wrong since it eventually loaded windows on it's own. Still, the problem persists.

So I've jotted down some of the errors posted on the BSOD:

First BSOD:
0x000000F4(0X0000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA80087BD060, 0XFFFFFA80087BD340, 0XFFFFF800033898B0)

Second BSOD:
0X000000F4(0X0000000000000003, 0XFFFFFA80092EAB30, 0XFFFFFA80092EAE10, 0XFFFFF800033838B0)

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help. I'm at a loss. The only other thing I can think of is RAM, but I don't know to do.

For reference:
Win 7 64 bit
i7-870 2.93GHz
Gigabyte P55A-UD3 (Could this be my problem?)
8GB OCZ DDR3-1600 (the fact that it hangs when I'm using the computer makes me think this could be the problem)
OCZ Vertex3 120SSD (primary drive) (Aside from the RAM, this is my next most likely culprit)
PNY 120SSD (Secondary)
Samsung F3 1TB (Tertiary)
eVGA 460 768MB

I did recently set up a Windows Home Server (with Vail). I can't think of anything else that would cause the errors.

Post subject: Re: BSODs running rampant
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:17 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Try two diagnostic programs"

Memtest86+ Run the program on one stick at a time and if it shows even one error RMA the ram.

http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

Go to your hard drives manufacture and get their diagnostic program and run it on the hard drive.

Look at your motherboard for bad caps:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=8 ... a=N&tab=wi

If there are any of these, they need to be replaced or you need to replace the motherboard with the exact same version or you will have to load windows from scratch if you use a different board.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:35 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Looks like Nasty gave you some good advice, although I prefer the Win7 mem diagnostic to Memtest these days.

What mode are you running your SSD in (IDE/AHCI)? Are you running in the same mode you were when you initially installed your OS?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i'm a fan of bluescreenview as a trouble shooting tool for this sort of stuff... and yeah the memtest / hd diag ideas both very good.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Use memtest86 v.4.0. Memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic are 32bit apps and are limited to 4Gb.

BSODs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:22 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

FascistNation wrote:
Use memtest86 v.4.0. Memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic are 32bit apps and are limited to 4Gb.

BSODs

You have to run it on one stick at a time, so it will still work.

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:45 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thank you, everyone, for your help! Just to update on what I've done so far:

I went ahead and repaired the Master Boot Record (MBR) as suggested on sevenforums.com. It doesn't indicate if anything was in error, but it did say it was completed.

Also, I ran Win 7 Memory Diagnostic Tool. It did not show anything as a problem.

I have an old copy of memtest86; I'll download the new one and run the tests to see what happens. But that will take some time - I'll probably get to it some time early next week.

I've tried to think of anything that could be causing the problem. Here's some additional information that may/may not be pertinent:
-A year ago, when I built the computer, I had the PNY as my boot drive. In the course of the year, I continued getting boot errors and they always centered around the MBR. I wish I could remember what diagnostic I ran, but one eventually returned that the MBR was so corrupted it could not be repaired. In comes the OCZ SSD about 3 months ago. At first, there were no problems, but now...well, we know what's going on.
-I built and set up the WHS and it was shortly after that was up and running that I kept getting the errors. I had used a beta version before (when I was using the PNY SSD), but the correlation between the WHS and the computer did not exist. Also, the errors are different.
-Now that I think of it, I did reformat the SSD not too long ago. When I did, I changed AV from Norton to MSE. There shouldn't be an issue with Norton since I did a reformat, but could MSE/WHS/Win7 be an issue? I would hope not - they are all MS software.