Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is the Best Firewall and Antivirus Programs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:32 pm 

Hi

I have just recently descovered a major problem with constant blue screen crashes relating to my Video Card Driver Even though I have updated every Driver to its recent. I have Isolated the problem to Norton Firewall and or Antivirus. Some reason it causes great instability in any application.

Since I can no longer use these programs if I want a Stable system. What is the best Firewall and Antivirus Software out there. Simple and relable is what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Zippy

Post subject: Re: What is the Best Firewall and Antivirus Programs
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

zippy wrote:
Hi

I have just recently descovered a major problem with constant blue screen crashes relating to my Video Card Driver Even though I have updated every Driver to its recent. I have Isolated the problem to Norton Firewall and or Antivirus. Some reason it causes great instability in any application.

Since I can no longer use these programs if I want a Stable system. What is the best Firewall and Antivirus Software out there. Simple and relable is what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Zippy

norton sux

firewall Sygate personal firewall, kerio pf or Zone Alarms
antivirus AVG free edition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:43 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Maddingo nailed it right on the head. As with AVG, ALL of those have free versions as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

AVG anti-virus (free version as well as paid)

Zone Alarm (free version as well as paid)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:02 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

While many people here have fallen in love with AVG Antivirus, I've never has any problems with Norton at all. I've used Norton AV since it's inception, and have been running Norton Internet Security sine the 2002 edition. McAfee is for the birds, as well as PC-Cillin. So, these are my choices (Your opinions might vary):

Antivirus:

1. Norton Antivirus 2004 (On my main two systems, and my iMac)
2. AVG Personal Antivirus (On two of my folding systems)
3. AntiVir Antivirus (On the rest of my folding systems)

Firewall:

1. ZoneAlarm Pro (On my 2nd Main system)
2. Norton Personal Firewall 2004 (On my main system)
3. ZoneAlarm Free Edition (On all of the folding machines)

BSOD's such as you describe are very rare. Which Applications are you running. If there is a crash from Driver/AV problems, this usually means there's something more, such as a bad installation of drivers (Completely removing old will cause this), or a bad install/conflict of AV software (Switching from one AV to another without scrubbing the Registry of entries)

Check out these issues, as well...

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:39 am 
Northwood
Northwood

like everyone said, zonealarm is good for firewalls and AVG is a good antivirus program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:02 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

A word of caution on ZoneAlarm. Only use the 4.5 release, not the 5.0. This goes for the Free and Paid version. 5.0 is riddled with problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:23 am 
Northwood
Northwood

can anyone recommend a good firewall for Windows 2003 Server that's free or fairly cheap?

i wonder if the firewall in XP SP2 will be implemented to 2003 Server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:48 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

SuperChip64 wrote:
While many people here have fallen in love with AVG Antivirus, I've never has any problems with Norton at all. I've used Norton AV since it's inception, and have been running Norton Internet Security sine the 2002 edition. McAfee is for the birds, as well as PC-Cillin. So, these are my choices (Your opinions might vary):

Antivirus:

1. Norton Antivirus 2004 (On my main two systems, and my iMac)
2. AVG Personal Antivirus (On two of my folding systems)
3. AntiVir Antivirus (On the rest of my folding systems)

Firewall:

1. ZoneAlarm Pro (On my 2nd Main system)
2. Norton Personal Firewall 2004 (On my main system)
3. ZoneAlarm Free Edition (On all of the folding machines)

BSOD's such as you describe are very rare. Which Applications are you running. If there is a crash from Driver/AV problems, this usually means there's something more, such as a bad installation of drivers (Completely removing old will cause this), or a bad install/conflict of AV software (Switching from one AV to another without scrubbing the Registry of entries)

Check out these issues, as well...

SC64

Then you are very lucky. I used Norton and McAfee at different times when I had my first PC and I had nothing but problems. I would be on the Internet and both of them would make my screen go blank and force me to reboot without any warning or message.

I then went to InoculateIT Free Edition and then to AVG and it works fine. I do not recommend either Norton or McAfee to any of my friends or clients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:00 pm 

another vote for zone alarm 4.5 and avg

and another vote against norton

im not sure what everyone else has against norton but, im beginning to suspect that it leaves unneeded ports open for spyware and stuff to get in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

kaiser wrote:
another vote for zone alarm 4.5 and avg

and another vote against norton

im not sure what everyone else has against norton but, im beginning to suspect that it leaves unneeded ports open for spyware and stuff to get in

My problem with Norton is it is very bulky program, very intrusive application when I was running it in 97-99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:36 am 

I didn't read the entire thread, but I use ZoneAlarm FREE edition and AVG anitvirus, which is also FREE. Both have worked extremely well for me and I even deleted the McAfee firewall I had originally because I like ZA better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:04 pm 

I have AntiVir 6 Personal XP, but I'd like to also install AVG AntiVirus. Would it be a good idea to have them installed and running together, or is it best to just have 1 AntiVirus program at a time?

I tried Trend-Micro's Internet Security 2004, and I ended up getting trojans and worms in folders only in Trend-Micro's directory. In other words, it was more of a virus magnet than a anti-virus program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:09 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Derek § wrote:
I have AntiVir 6 Personal XP, but I'd like to also install AVG AntiVirus. Would it be a good idea to have them installed and running together, or is it best to just have 1 AntiVirus program at a time?

no, it's not a good idea to install multiple anti-virus programs on the same machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:31 pm 

Everyone has their preferences. I'm not sure what the problem with Norton is. I've been using Norton Utilities since '98. To my knowledge, they've never caused problems on my machines. 8) NAV has caught every virus and worm to come my way. :D Until it gives my a reason to change, I'll probably stick with it.

Zippy, if you check out the August '04 issue of Maximum PC, on page 53, you will find they recommend...

Norton. "It's easy to use and provides excellent protection."

Zone Alarm

Other recommendation from the same page...

Winzip
Mozilla Firefox 0.8
Diskeeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:24 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Derek § wrote:
Would it be a good idea to have them installed and running together, or is it best to just have 1 AntiVirus program at a time?

You want one, lest they circumvent each other. The same holds true for software firewalls.