Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Complete Uninstall of Firfox 0.9.2
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:27 pm 

Reading the capabilities of Firefox in the August issue of MaxPC made me feel somewhat inadequeate (sp?) with <strike>good</strike> bad IE 6. I hurried over to mozilla and installed firefox 0.9.2, and looked at the available extensions. I installed 4 different extensions without bothering to restart the browser, and upon finally doing so, the browser wouldnt start. I ran it from the shortcut on the desktop, but nothing happened. I checked the teak manager and found that a process firefox.exe had indeed started up. I ended the process and rant he shortcut again, and again nothing happened. Running it again tells me that the program is already running. I tried uninstalling the program, both from the add/remove programs utility and the unisntaller provided, and reinstalling numerous times. I deleted all files left over, and eventually, deleted all keys in the registry i could find (specifically, HKLM/software/mozilla.org, and HKLM/software/mozilla extensions... i'm not sure that those are the actual locations of the keys, but they were the main keys for the program to use, i think) Later, i had to reinstall Windows due to a problem unrelated. I decided to try firefox again without totally sending it to hell. I found that upon installing Launchy 2 (which i wanted to use in order to send downloads to DAP7), the browser failed to start. I went through the same routine trying to uninstall it, again with no success. I deleted every key referencing mozilla that i thought wasnt necessary for the system to function. I know this seems like long question, but, basically, how do i COMPLETELY uninstall firefox 0.9.2, removing all traces, including extensions, or just uninstall extensions outside the browser?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:09 pm 

Did a little window come up saying that it was installing the extensions? And then never end?

~War

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:41 pm 

Did you delete the firefox profile?

C:\documents and settings\"user name"\application data\mozilla\firefox. Inside that is a profile folder that has all of your extension and settings info. Delete the firefox folder, and if you still want firefox, reinstall.

If you add extensions, be absolutely certain they are compatible with the version you install. Firefox development is moving very fast, and the extensions are always just a step behind. They tend to catch up pretty quickly, but check versions to be sure.

Also, you should restart the browser after every extension install to make sure it does so correctly.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:16 am 
Northwood
Northwood

paragraphs please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:40 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

thats strange i love my firefox