Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stacraft 2 is not using the Nvidia GPU...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:16 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

While playing SC2 on my notebook (Acer Aspire 4830TG), I noticed sluggish graphic performance. So I switched to desktop and found:
this
Never happened before, and I have added SC2 in the profile.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Stacraft 2 is not using the Nvidia GPU...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Try forcing the nvidia, rather than letting it auto-select.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:31 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

You need to upgrade your drivers horribly... your latest driver is at 275.33, You are running 267.21, This was released earlier this year and had some performance issues with certain games, Download directly from Nvidia... 540M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

armyof1ne wrote:
You need to upgrade your drivers horribly... your latest driver is at 275.33, You are running 267.21, This was released earlier this year and had some performance issues with certain games, Download directly from Nvidia... 540M

So, do I use the one from Nvidia (http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-w ... river.html)
or my notebook manufacturer? (http://www.acer.com.my/ac/en/MY/content/drivers)

Also, if I install the new driver, do I have to use 3rd party apps (i.e Driver Cleaner) to clean the old driver first? Does the latest (275.33) Nvidia driver resolve the "Starcraft 2 crash and burn GPU" issue?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:53 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Download the one from nvidia.... Nvidia has their own clean install... When installing drivers click advanced install or custom install(yes... they didnt keep it always uniform... numbnuts!), and check clean install before continuing... it does the same thing as driversweeper by guru3d

Also i looked again and saw firefox suckin up some juice, might want to shut that off while gamin to get every ounce of fps you can

Last edited by armyof1ne on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:06 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Should I uninstall the Nvidia Physx driver too?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:47 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

nah, physX never really had issues with installing over old version(mostly because its not supertied to the system requiring a reboot... it will just overwrite with the latest version of it, no worries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

armyof1ne wrote:
Also i looked again and saw firefox suckin up some juice, might want to shut that off while gamin to get every ounce of fps you can

Before that I have no problem running Firefox and SC2 together. Though some of the add-on of Firefox can be a system hog (I think Tab-mix plus is the one).

Installing the 275.33 driver from Nvidia and...
Image :(

So I have to install the one from Acer

Any other solution?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:21 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

When you went to Nvidia to get the driver did you choose the Notebook driver or the desktop driver?

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:07 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html
This url you gave is the laptop version... If unable to use the software manual installation will be required( Acer laptops are known for this crap, especially MXM style GPU's i have 3 acers(, i had to mod the VBIOS and SBIOS on every bloody card and mobo) and manually install drivers on each computer... guess its not just me, OK! Lets do it!

1. Press windows key and R at the same time to bring up a run command
2. Type in DEVMGMT.MSC and press ok (this will bring up device manager)
3. Right click on your video card device and click update driver... Go to "BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVERS" or some such bs, Then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
3.Click "HAVE DISK", now browse to where those device drivers were extracted... Default will be "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista 64-bit\International\Display.Driver" and then choose an INF... Depending on how vista is setup it may only show one driver, or a multitude(if it shows alot, you may have to do this process a few times to sort out the microsoft/manufacturer bs drivers... focus on driver version under properties of your device in device manager) If this is successful hopefully your SC2 problems will be resolved

If this doesnt work we are going to have to get you some hax0red drivers(this happens alot for laptops... more than you can imagine) that will ignore the nvidia... blah blah blah, not found... blah blah... I had to do this on one of my dells.. not on a acer though, If so i will track one down for ya, they build them quite regularly, and yes its 100% safe if its the drivers for the product you need... it just cuts out the bs compatibilty check that can fail for a number of reasons

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

armyof1ne,

Do you think these people would have a driver that works for the OP?

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:47 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

hmmm... never used those guys but i guess it would be the same concept... Let me check it on my problem child computer and see if they install without any superscrewing, The peeps i use are forum based they do have a small website but its not these guys(the omega look more on the level/professional), Ill let you know laterz tonight, if thats the case and it works, kudos to you good sir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:48 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

armyof1ne wrote:
1. Press windows key and R at the same time to bring up a run command
2. Type in DEVMGMT.MSC and press ok (this will bring up device manager)
3. Right click on your video card device and click update driver... Go to "BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVERS" or some such bs, Then click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
3.Click "HAVE DISK", now browse to where those device drivers were extracted... Default will be "C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista 64-bit\International\Display.Driver" and then choose an INF... Depending on how vista is setup it may only show one driver, or a multitude(if it shows alot, you may have to do this process a few times to sort out the microsoft/manufacturer bs drivers... focus on driver version under properties of your device in device manager) If this is successful hopefully your SC2 problems will be resolved

If this doesnt work we are going to have to get you some hax0red drivers(this happens alot for laptops... more than you can imagine) that will ignore the nvidia... blah blah blah, not found... blah blah... I had to do this on one of my dells.. not on a acer though, If so i will track one down for ya, they build them quite regularly, and yes its 100% safe if its the drivers for the product you need... it just cuts out the bs compatibilty check that can fail for a number of reasons

Well I am still using the old version and force the Program to use 'High Performance Nvidia Processor' setting in Nview.
Still, I might going to try your method to see if the 275.33 driver will work.
(Think my laptop has too many restore point now :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:20 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You can remove all but one restore point and get back a lot of disk space...I got back 20 gigs when I cleaned my restore points up.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nastyman wrote:
You can remove all but one restore point and get back a lot of disk space...I got back 20 gigs when I cleaned my restore points up.

Nasty

I would like to but having an OEM machine without the disc can be eh, inconvenient sometimes (especially for people like me who like to mass around ), even thought the it comes with its own recovery software (which requires 4 DVD to be burned as backup... or maybe it's time to get a bigger thumbdrive :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

So burn the four DVDs already, don't wait for disaster to happen...it will, and you will be caught with your pants down! :mrgreen:

If this is XP, to get rid of the extra restore points:

Open windows explorer...right click on start and choose Explore.

Right click on your C drive and choose Properties.

Click on disk cleanup.

Click on more options.

At bottom of window (System Restore) click Cleanup....do you want to, click yes and that is it.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:35 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Just an update on how to eh, update the Nvidia driver on the laptop.

I found it here -> http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1806729/+1960 (not my post)

Quote:
well this is the steps wat i did :

1 - DO NOT UNINSTALL current driver <<--maybe its the reason dat optimus is working after driver update
2 - download lated driver from nvidia.com ---> double click n EXTRACT ,dont isntall YET
3 - go to http://goo.gl/VPfWY n download the INF file <---simply click "INF MODIFIED" -->> "nvwi.inf" is the file
4 - copy the "nvwi.inf" file n paste/replace it into C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista 64-bit\International\Display.Driver
5 - then install the driver by double clicling SETUP.EXE
6 - enjoy crysis 2, dirt 3 at a much higher framerate

Looks interesting. Will give it a shot.

Edit:
It works. Now it is running the latest 275.33 Nvidia driver :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Sweet, let us know if it improves a ton