Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: maximum pc cds will not open on xp home machine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:47 pm 

Updated machine to xp home from ME and the max pc cds "ultimate pc survival kit and rise of nations" will not open. They show to be reading and then a minimized button on taskbar reading " maximum pc.exe" shows up. When you click on this button nothing happens. When you go to my computer and choose cd drive with disk in it and click on max pc. exe all it does is create another minimized button on task bar reading same as first. You can "explore" the cd but you cannot open or execute. This is only happening with the maximum pc cds in both the dvd-rom drive and cd-rw drive. Have tried just about every other disk I have and only ones affected are the maximum pc's. The disks work on other machine with xp pro. Am I missing a setting? Did wipe and clean install of xp home. All updates are installed. Using PC-cillin suite and spybot v1.3. Does maximum pc cds use a different method than the rest to open/run? Something is different about their cds than the rest.

Post subject: Re: maximum pc cds will not open on xp home machine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:43 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

moon1951 wrote:
Updated machine to xp home from ME and the max pc cds "ultimate pc survival kit and rise of nations" will not open. They show to be reading and then a minimized button on taskbar reading " maximum pc.exe" shows up. When you click on this button nothing happens. When you go to my computer and choose cd drive with disk in it and click on max pc. exe all it does is create another minimized button on task bar reading same as first. You can "explore" the cd but you cannot open or execute. This is only happening with the maximum pc cds in both the dvd-rom drive and cd-rw drive. Have tried just about every other disk I have and only ones affected are the maximum pc's. The disks work on other machine with xp pro. Am I missing a setting? Did wipe and clean install of xp home. All updates are installed. Using PC-cillin suite and spybot v1.3. Does maximum pc cds use a different method than the rest to open/run? Something is different about their cds than the rest.

Well - This has happened before, so I will take a shot at it.

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your optical devices. If possible, get them from the maker.

2. Either turn off auto load or, when it does its little minimized button thing, right click and close it.

3. explore the CD. There are two different .exe's on it (normally). One often called MaxPC.exe and another MaximumPC.exe. Try them both. One of them uses a flash window.

4. Lastly, if you can't get the CD interface to run, you can still get to the games on the CD by exploring it.

Hope that helps

Manta

Post subject: Re: maximum pc cds will not open on xp home machine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:19 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

moon1951 wrote:

Make sure you have Flash, Shockwave, and Java installed on your computer. If i remember correctly this program uses Flash player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:13 pm 

i have the same problem and i just go into the explore option for my optical drive and then double click the little icon that says "auto play" and then the cd fires up like it should

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:52 am 

I have experienced this problem several times (my machine had ME, but a clean install of XP pro). I have determined that a gross lack of system resources is the culprit, as I have only 128 MB of RAM. When I disable most of the apps running in the background, it will auto-play without incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:18 pm 

I'm currently having the same problems. All of my software, drivers, and firmware are up to date. I notice it trys really hard to load it up but it ends up freezing up my PC, having to ctl+alt+del to end the process, to un-freeze my PC. Any suggestions?

System I'm running :
AMD XP 2400+
MSI K7turbo2 (newest bios)
1024 mb ram
Western Digital 80gb
Windows XP Pro SP1

By the way, all other months work.. just not August's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:34 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

the same exact thing happened to me on my Hp pavilon, i have xp home and that hapens, only it freezes my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:35 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

just my august doesent work