Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Another one bite the dust
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey all my sister comp got hit by something. It seems to be in critical condition. It's not booting past safe mode. My sis is another computer user who does not believe in backing up and updating virus and spyware. Dang when will they learn.

Any way how can I go about fixing this thing? Is there a program that I can use to access her hard drive by say usb port from another computer?

where can I find say a WinME boot disk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:58 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Post subject: Re: Another one bite the dust
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:26 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

3rdegreeBurn wrote:
Hey all my sister comp got hit by something. It seems to be in critical condition. It's not booting past safe mode. My sis is another computer user who does not believe in backing up and updating virus and spyware. Dang when will they learn.

Any way how can I go about fixing this thing? Is there a program that I can use to access her hard drive by say usb port from another computer?

I would just go back into safemode, back up whatever that she still wants and format the thing if it got hit by viruses. Run a scanner to determine if it indeed got hit by viruses. Scandisk the drive see if it got corrupted any. Ask them if they installed anything before it started doing this. Or downloaded anything, opened any attachments to see if you can figure it out and fix it.

Post subject: Re: Another one bite the dust
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:27 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

3rdegreeBurn wrote:

If youi can, try to get into the Recovery Console and type in "chkdsk /r" without quote marks. This will do an extensive test on the hdd and registry for problems. Many times at my work this has fixed problems.

You can also try to run Windows setup from the XP CD and tell it to install. It will find the current installation when you begin this process and ask if you want to run a repair on this existing installation. This will wipe out all system files and replace them directly from the CD itself.

If you can get on Safe mode with networking, you might be able to get online. See if you can and run an online virus/spyware scanner. You can at least look for a AV program that will run in safe mode or from the command prompt.

Best of luck.