Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD is reading as full (but it isn't).
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm 

Short story: My SSD is reading as being full. Therefore, nothing can be written to it.

Long story: The power went out last night, shutting my computer off. When I turned it on the next morning, it had problems loading Windows 7 (Home). This has actually happened before, when I've kept my computer turned off for a little bit, the computer has had problems starting up again, but eventually it fixed itself. So after a few rounds of Windows trying to fix things and restarting, it does finally load.

So far so good. The only problem? The SSD drive is full. (I use an SSD as my Windows drive, though it's only 32gigs, so it really only holds Windows and my browser, all my programs go to a larger drive.) I take a quick look and see that there's a bunch of temporary files, and gigs and gigs of error logs. Windows 7 takes up something like 15 gigs itself, so space is at a premium. I delete the files, and then restart.

Everything looks fine, I have about 10 gigs free. Great, I think the problem is solved. But as soon as I fired up my browser (or as it turns out, any program), the drive instantly reads as being full again. Instantly 100% full. So I open up an old copy of Space Monger I have. It also reads the drive as full, but totalling up each individual folder (and the pagefile, and the hibernation file) only comes to 20 gigs.

I've restarted a few times since, and this is the case every time. The drive reads as about 65% full on first inspection, but as soon as I use the computer for anything, it suddenly reads as 100% full.

So basically for some reason the drive thinks it's full, but it's not. Or well, there's data there, but they're not actual files any more, and the computer isn't turning it back into free space.

I would appreciate any help.

Post subject: Re: SSD is reading as full (but it isn't).
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

tried CHKDSK /F yet?

what drive? does the manufacturer have any utils that you can run?