Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Crysis Crashes in 1st Carrier Fight
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:04 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Okay, so I'm at the point, I think the level is called Ascension, Where the Admiral has nuc'd the alien dome and we are now under attack. I've come down from the bridge and am getting into the fight at the superstructure door.

I'm running an i7 920 OC'd to 4 GHz, XFire'd ATI 4890's (no OC), with 6 gigs memory at 1600MHz.

After about 5-10 min, sometimes a little more, Crysis is crashing the audio continues but the game ios frozen with either the last frame on screen or the screen is blank. The computer it's self is not frozen. I can do the contr/alt/del deal and get the task manager up which brings the task bar up and a windows pop up saying that I must exit the game due to lack of "system memory" or risk losing data. The memory according to the task manager was at like 75%+ at the time of the crash.

I do not have anything running in the back ground except the Saitec Profile Manager for my game controller (never been a prob before), Fraps, Catalyst control Center, and the usual tray apps for the sound, Steam, and the network. None of which has been a problem before.

I did a trial with the Everest Stability Test app running to graph temps CPU usage etc. Note that I don't actually start the stress test I just use it to monitor what's happening. Anyway, I ran Crysis again at the same point and when it crashed I went to Everest and found that nothing had over heated. The video cards got up to 80 deg C max CPU never got over 50 deg C.

I did a google of the problem and could find nothing (yet) definitive. Up to this point crysis has not been a problem in any way.

* Has anyone else had this problem?
* Have I somehow corrupted the installation? I thought that a game was supposed to give back memory as it goes or at least limit the amount it uses.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the clinic or here but chose here since it is pretty specific to a game.

Post subject: Re: Crysis Crashes in 1st Carrier Fight
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:51 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Your card is running relatively hot but that should not cause it to crash at the same point in the game every time. I would try a reinstall/repair first and foremost and see where that gets you. IF you have it installed via steam just right click the game, select properties and then verify integrity, it should repair any corrupt or missing files.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I just tried that and the 1st time through it said it was unable to acquire 1870 files or that it was going to have to re-acquire them. the 2nd time through it said everything was hunky-dory. So I will get back to you as soon as I have a chance to start it up in a little while.

thanks for the come back I'll let you know how it comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This sounds similar to what happened to me.

Crysis played flawlessly on my ATi 3870 until I got to the on deck carrier battle. It would just lock up within minutes of getting on deck.

That video card still works but there is something not quite right with it. Once I upgraded to a 260 GTX that same battle scene worked fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:02 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Satchboy wrote:
This sounds similar to what happened to me.

Crysis played flawlessly on my ATi 3870 until I got to the on deck carrier battle. It would just lock up within minutes of getting on deck.

That video card still works but there is something not quite right with it. Once I upgraded to a 260 GTX that same battle scene worked fine.
I got the chance to do a quick test after "validating" the installation. the same thing occurs with the same error from windows concerning running out of memory with the usage at that point at about 76%. I don't think it is the video cards since it is the system memory that is the problem. I am still trying to find out why or what is causing this.

I did find a ref in the event viewer to a problem with missing/corrupted windows file/s. So late last night I went and did a full defrag then ran both "Disk Check" and "System File Checker". System file checker did in fact find some corrupted/missing files and repaired them. I'll just have to get a chance to try it out again. I guess if this doesn't work the next step will be to remove and reinstall Crysis completely.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Here is the latest on my problem with Crysis. Byt the way, the chapter/level is called "The Recokoning".

After going through several sites, such as Steam, EA Games, and a couple of tech site forums found through Google, it appears that this is a "memory Leak" issue. While you are fighting on the flight deck there is a lot of stuff going on, from bad weather to multiple aliens and firefights. And, of course, the giant alien that everyone seems to be calling the "Boss".

Most of the forums seem to report that forcing the game to run in DX 9 mode cures the problem. Some report that forcing Crysis to run in the 32 bit mode also seems to work. I have been into the options screen in Crysis and cannot find a "DX9" mode option anywhere. I also can't seem to find out whether or not Crysis is running in 32 or 64 bit mode. Thus I can't try these 2 remedies. In fact I would like to confirm the 64 bit mode thing as I want it to run 64 bit normally but have never seen a "64 bit" patch or version of the game.

I noted a couple of places that EA seems to be mum on the issue of memory leaks and has not offered up any solutions. I hope this isn't going to crop up again in Crysis Warhead.

Anyway, any ideas on how to force the game to run in DX9 and or 64 bit modes? By the way this is a Steam version not a DVD version.

Another thought I had was possibly trying one of the memory manager utilities. I have never used one since I have never had this problem. I understand that they "recover" memory after a program is closed but fails to unload it on it's own. But I am not clear if these utilities can keep track of what a running program is using and what it is done with. Would one of these utilities work in this case and if so would anyone know of a good free one. I only want to run it long enough to finish Crysis.

Also just save some time all video drivers, the BIOS, chip set and so forth are up to date. And Crysis is patched to the latest version.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:17 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Right mouse click on the exe file for the game and select Troubleshoot Compatibility, then select a version of windows that you know it works in. I would try Vista32 or Win732 and see if it works then. Are you running a 64Bit OS?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:47 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Same thing happened to me the first time I played on my (what was then) new system. Although mine was never the hot rod yours is. I'm running a Radeon HD4870.

at any rate I finally gave up trying to troubleshoot it and just turned all the display settings down. This allowed me to get through to the end of the chapter, then I cranked it back up.

Not the solution you wanted, but at least you're not alone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.