Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MCP Windows XP exam help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Hey all, I decided to try to get my first Microsoft Certification. I'm going for the Windows XP Professional 70-270 exam but have a few questions for anyone that has taken the exam recently or at all. Recent would be best but I'll take what I can get.

Basically my only question is, is there anything I need to really concentrate on? It takes me a really long time to read and generally have to read things 3 or 4 times to really grasp the concept due to a a disability but pick things up really fast when doing them. So, while I will read everything thoughoughly, I want to avoid any un-necessary topics to kill myslelf with.

Thanks in advance. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:12 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Read, read, read...then read again.

Then be sure you understand the concepts.

MCP tests are not a walk in the park, as they are not all mulitple choice or true/false.

There are many questions on regarding network topology and situations where you need to creatively use your knowledge to answer the questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:15 am 
Northwood
Northwood

defkhan1 wrote:
Read, read, read...then read again.

Then be sure you understand the concepts.

MCP tests are not a walk in the park, as they are not all mulitple choice or true/false.

There are many questions on regarding network topology and situations where you need to creatively use your knowledge to answer the questions.

how long and what's the cost on one of these tests? don't need to be exact, but an average figure.

Post subject: Re: MCP Windows XP exam help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:56 am 

If you can afford it, get the Transcender practice tests. Here is the 70-270 test. These will give you a very good idea on what you will see on the test.

Post subject: Re: MCP Windows XP exam help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:26 am 
Northwood
Northwood

RKilroy wrote:
If you can afford it, get the Transcender practice tests. Here is the 70-270 test. These will give you a very good idea on what you will see on the test.

$119 for a sample test? how much is the real test?

Post subject: Here's my two cents on studying for the MCP
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:22 pm 

Sorry!! But I have to disagree with both; defkhan1 and RKilroy. To tell someone that's asking for help, just to read read read, is like saying "I hear you but I don't have the time to give real help.

It's been a few months since I received my MCP but depending on what road you are planing on taking...believe me, there isn't just one. You may want to look at Microsoft's web site; it's at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/m ... ements.asp. I unfortunately had to stop taking the test's for a while, because they were so expensive. Roughly $130 per test depending on where you're at, you need 3 for the basic MCP certification (which doesn't do much until you complete your MCSA, MCSE or what ever you are really going for).

As for TranscenderCert!? Way to expensive...go to trainsignal.com, they have audio and video training CD’s..Audio around $45 and video around $60 (I've only used the Audio CD's myself. There are also other sites that you can get information from...do a search on google also. There is another site I used for study guides though at the moment can’t think of the name.

As far as the actual studying goes...just like any other studying. Make sure its totally quite where you are at, and that you have no distraction...computer, fan, air-conditioning, this may sound obvious, but back when I was studying it was amazing how a little noise, that would usually be un-noticed suddenly becomes the noisiest thing in the house. And with studying for these tests...especially if you have difficulty you will need every advantage you can get.

Another thing...depending on how much time your going to give yourself to study each day will depend on how long it will take you to prepare. For me, I was unemployed at the time, so I studied the material about 10 hours a day for about 9 days. This may sound excessive but I’ve passed every test so far, with this strategy. If you don’t have that kind of time then use any available blocks of time to study...but make sure they are at least 2 hours a piece and doing it this way give yourself at least a few weeks (and don’t skip even a single day in between studying or you may forget what you were just starting to pick up). Otherwise you’re just wasting time...at least, that was how I was doing it. If... say, you decide to purchase the audio CD’s, don’t pop them into an audio device and sit back, and don’t close your eyes either. I tried that once and my mind started to wonder (I was trying to visualize what I heard but you need your eyes open and your body in a good posture). If you don’t have any previous MCP experience the whole ordeal will be quite difficult, as even with the study guides the tests themselves are no picnic. If you happen to have a junk computer lying around and don’t care if the O/S (assuming its Win 2000 or even possible XP) gets trashed...play around with it as your listening to the Audio CD’s. What is even better is if you have two computers and can network them...that should really help.

As for the test itself...it is difficult...don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You will need every bit of the given 3 hours to complete the test...if you finish earlier...you had better re-read any question that gave you a hard time. But remember its just like any other test...in a very complex way...when ever there is a multiple choice question (usually) two question’s out of the four, you will know are incorrect.

But whether you’re studying or taking the test always visualize what you’re either reading or listening to. And make sure to re-read a paragraph or listen to a section over and over if you have to until you understand what is being said. If that doesn’t help read/listen on and sometimes the missing link is in the next section of the material.

Well that’s my two cents anyhow. With any luck it will help you ace the tests, though if you do play around with your computer like I mentioned...be prepared in case something happens...oh and have you MaximumPC magazines near by just in case...they are always good for quick and useful information.

If your wondering, this is how I studied for and passed my Comptia A+ as well as the 70-210, 70-215, 70-216 for the start of MCSE...which unfortunately they seem to have now changed...but I do have my MCP.

Techgeek
[url][/url]

Post subject: free stuff...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:48 pm 

which test should on take to become a MS beta tester, one of those people that gets all that nifty free stuff, like a copy of every piece of software MS has released? I'm pretty sure this is the only reason non-professionals get MS certified... lol its the only reason I plan on getting certified..

Post subject: Re: free stuff...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:09 pm 

MunkiRench wrote:
which test should on take to become a MS beta tester, one of those people that gets all that nifty free stuff, like a copy of every piece of software MS has released? I'm pretty sure this is the only reason non-professionals get MS certified... lol its the only reason I plan on getting certified..

I looked into that and as far as I can find...let's just say there is no such thing as free. I don't know about the beta software but for everything else, you need to pay a hefty fee as well as take certain exam's. Which ones and what exactly...I'm not sure...you can find most information within Microsoft's MCP site. "Noted earlier however if free stuff is the only reason you want to take the test. There are easier ways of trying beta's and such...check out gamespot.com...it will however require you to download spyware to download trial's and such.

If any one else knows more about Microsoft "Free" software through the MCP...I am interested to know myself...but from what I've found it doesn't seem to be anything more than a rumor.

Techgeek