Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: GPT Creates EFI Partition ::::SOLVED:::::
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm finally getting around to replacing my aging WD 1TB drive that's starting to give me S.M.A.R.T. errors, I know the drive is toast, and its about 5 years old so no biggy. I bought a new WD Red 3TB drive (they were on sale), I installed the disc, ran Disk Management, it sees the drive, I create the GPT partition no problems all seems well. I fire up Acronis, clone the old drive to the new drive do the happy dance because I get no errors and my data is there. I notice then that it created a 100MB EFI partition at the front of the drive, I figured I messed up on the clone and forgot to uncheck a partition on my SSD, run DiskPart, clean the disk and do it again, and get the same results. Tried Macrium Reflect and it too wants to make the EFI partition. My question is this normal? This is the first time I am seeing this on a non-system drive. This drive is only being used for data, there is no EFI partition on the drive I'm cloning, its formatted under MBR though, so is this a requirement for GPT?

::EDIT:::
Running Win7 Ultimate

Last edited by nsvander on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GPT Creates EFI Partition
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That's only needed if you're using the drive for booting purposes. Since you're not, you can get rid of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

That was my thought as well. Windows creates the GPT partition only no problem. The problem comes when I try to use a software solution to migrate my 800+ GB of files. The drive gets repartitioned during the process and bam 100MB EFI partition created. Can I use disk part to wipe just that partition and then expand the drive over it?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That probably would be the best idea. Or you can see if formatting it as an extended partition instead of a primary one will prevent this. It may be thinking since you're creating a primary partition it's going to be a boot one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:33 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Acronis did its job, it copied bit for bit what it saw....a boot drive which always has the 100 MB for windows to use for repair. So you removed the old drive and saw that you had a 100MB partition, this is normal. When you CLONED the drive, you made it the new system drive to replace the drive that is failing.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Nastyman wrote:
...a boot drive which always has the 100 MB for windows to use for repair. ...

That is what I thought as in it had to. I was wrong.

[from link therein].... The 100 MB system partition is used primarily as BitLocker partition for BitLocker encryption. Additionally, it also holds the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and boot files with boot manager for booting up the computer for troubleshooting when there is no Windows 7 installation DVD disc on hand. ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:08 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Nastyman wrote:
Acronis did its job, it copied bit for bit what it saw....a boot drive which always has the 100 MB for windows to use for repair. So you removed the old drive and saw that you had a 100MB partition, this is normal. When you CLONED the drive, you made it the new system drive to replace the drive that is failing.

Nasty

Except its not my boot drive, its another data drive. I have 2 drives in the system, a 128GB SSD formatted as GPT it has 3 partitions on it, (128MB hidden (BitLocker or GPT Partition info?) 100MB EFI Partition and then 117GB for OS), the second drive is a 1TB WDC formatted as MBR with 2 partitions (128MB hidden, and the rest is Data).

What is throwing me off is that I can format the drive in Windows as GPT and it wont create the 100MB EFI partition, but when ever I use any sort of cloning software, it creates the 100MB EFI, even when it is told it will be a DATA only drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I finally got this thing working, I was never able to figure out why the EFI partition was being created in the cloning software but not when Windows made the partition. Used Acronis, cloned the drive, then used GParted to kill the EFI Partition, and then spread GPT partition to recover the 100MB.