Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Screen resolution problem when switching with KVM
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 am 

I have 4 Win7 PC's I switch between with a KVM switch. One PC (Win7Pro) does not retain the screen resolution (or monitor type/brand) from previous sessions even though the other 3 do (all Win7HomePremium). With the Win7Pro PC I need to manually have Windows re-detect the monitor each time I switch to that PC. I read somewhere in the past that there was a fix for this but have done numerous searches and cannot find a fix. Can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Screen resolution problem when switching with KVM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:41 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I'm not sure but I find KVM's are old school now. There are good programs now that will do the switching for you quite well. I personally like Synergy, although it requires each computer have it's own monitor. That might not work for you but I like seeing everything at once.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

idaiki wrote:
I'm not sure but I find KVM's are old school now. There are good programs now that will do the switching for you quite well. I personally like Synergy, although it requires each computer have it's own monitor. That might not work for you but I like seeing everything at once.

Last time I used Synergy, while a very nice program (Well, I do Team Viewer now), it stops working when the computer does a UAC prompt.

Besides that, there's nothing wrong with KVMs, especially when your network is a complicated mess like in a corporate setting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm 

I didn't say they where useless just old school. Some of the best fixes ore old school, like me. I actually forgot about the UAC problem because I rarely incounter that now. As for why that computer does that, I can only guess that it is automaticly checking for hardware changes and removing the monitor must cause it to run and load the windows defult drivers as it can't find a display. Many years ago some screen saver programs used to causwe this problem too. Without seeing it myself I can only make an educated guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I guess just to hijack OP's thread further... Synergy also has a problem in that it's only useful if you have a dedicated monitor for the setup. If you don't or don't want to, then Synergy can't be used. Synergy is a KM switch, not a KVM switch.

As for the problem, what's the computer that's being switched to? I'm going to assume a desktop but just as a case in point, my work laptop has issues remembering its monitor settings sometimes if I disconnect it from the dock.

I guess if you want to poke at it further, since the computer is thinking it's losing a monitor every time you switch out, try plugging the monitor straight into it, configure, the re-plug it in and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
I guess just to hijack OP's thread further... Synergy also has a problem in that it's only useful if you have a dedicated monitor for the setup. If you don't or don't want to, then Synergy can't be used. Synergy is a KM switch, not a KVM switch.

Fairly sure I mentioned that in my fisr post (scrolls up, scrolls back down) yes clearly says it requires each pc have a monitor. :?
Anyway there are programs that are KVM replacements. I just don't use them.

If I remember right there where a few KVM's that pass along the monitor info even when that computer isn't currently in use.