Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 no Longer recognizes 2nd Drive
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am 

I built a computer some time ago...and everything has been running fine...until now.
BIOS shows all three of my Hard Drives: C: which is an SSD and F: which is what I will call my NEW drive and J: which I will call my Old drive as it is the oldest with most info.

When I log on Windows now takes a while to load...it used to be Licky split. and 90-100% of the time it will not detect or load my J: Drive?

Even when chkdsk is run it will only show the J: Drive 10% of the time.

I have backed up my drive on a passport (on one of the last times it was shown). Is the drive failing? I have run diagnostics and it does not show errors...however, on the last run...when complete...the drive disappeared from windows

I am running Windows 7 home premium...any help? My wife has a bunch of stuff on that drive and will kill me if lost.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 no Longer recognizes 2nd Drive
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's run through some quick checks here:

• Is the hard drive clicking or making weird noises? If it's clicking, it's dying.
  • Change the port where the hard drive is. If you have colored groups of SATA ports, put the drive to a different group.
  • Run a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer (should be on their website), unless this is what you meant instead of using something to read and interpret the SMART data.

I could also point to other oddities, like your PSU is dying. I had a dying PSU that would screw with my hard drive.

Last edited by LatiosXT on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

What is the make and model of hdd? Any audible noises? Any driver updates lately? New bios? Is the entire hhd missing or just a partition?

How many drives do you have? Why is it assigned J: Those letters are often reserved for flash and removable media. It could be that w7 is confusing itself. The data is still there, so placate the wife...for now.

Can you see it? Do this...
Start -> Run
Type "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes)
Under "Storage" click on "Disk Management" and post back what you see

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

kleinkinstein wrote:
Those letters are often reserved for flash and removable media. It could be that w7 is confusing itself.

Drive letters shouldn't have anything to do with it. The reason why removable media takes up those spots is because Windows assigns media a default drive letter, but if taken it will move it to the next available letter.

Like how for some reason I keep getting higher COM ports every time I insert a USB->Serial converter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Right. But not sure if we are talking an entire hdd assigned or partitions which may be conflicting with auto-assign. Letter J: is an peculiar assignment, well unless he's got almost a dozen drives/partitions.

@OP, Anything sound familiar?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am 

•Is the hard drive clicking or making weird noises?

No
•Change the port where the hard drive is.

I will do this...but will have to shut down and switch SATA ports. but it is seen in BIOS so I am unsure if this is the issue

◦Alternatively if you can afford to do so, get a SATA to USB dongle like (i have external cases that I can use -have SSD and 2.5 {i use them to help out work partners}

◦Or change the cable.
Again will try this but unsure if it is a cable-connection issue

•Run a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer
Tried the Update/scan driver from windows and when this was completed the drive disappeared

like your PSU is dying. .

What is the best way to see if a PSU is dying...

What is the make and model of hdd? Westen digital (I would have to check on make model)

Any audible noises? NO

Any driver updates lately? when I have run it either says upto date or it makes drive dissapear from windows. (Driver from the website not tried yet)

New bios? Unknown if Motherboard had an update. Gigabyte H55M-s2V

the entire hhd missing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 am 

Ok, my computer was restarted and my J drive is showing up in Windows....Good sign. but this was after chkdsk was run from boot(auto not by me).

what is the best thing I can do to see what is the issue with this Hard Drive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If accessing the hard drive is OK, I'd start backing things up (in incremental steps). Considering you haven't heard any strange noises, we could rule out mechanical problems so doing operations shouldn't make things worse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:52 am 

I have everything Backed up on a WD passport

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm 

also moving some of the documents over to the NEW Hard Drive so as if it does crash I still have some of the stuff...do not xare so much about programs...it is the other data that I worry about

but also, this whole disappearing Hard Drive in windows is a hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 pm 

as I was trying to open up one of the folders on the OLD Drive. it got stuck opening...and then...closed out the window...now the drive has disappeared again?

what do you think could be the issue?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

From my previous experiences, it would seem as though the hard drive's controller is beginning to fail. Run the WD diagnostics tool for the drive and see what it says about the drive's health.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:02 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Now that I think about it, I had a drive start showing this in a similar way (it was a WD Blue). The build I had wouldn't boot up, so I plugged the drive in dongle and noticed it either took forever to do something or it didn't show up at all, even after reformatting and everything.

Unfortunately, in my case I didn't have anything valuable to salvage, so I just RMA'd it since it was under warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm 

Thanks for all of the help.

In the end. it looks like the Hard drive is about to fail. backed up everything (to keep the wife happy) cleaned out the machine (the two side fans had collected some dust that could have been adding to the issue...

But all-in-all Things are working out. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.