Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are U Ready?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:20 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Baltimore City, MD, USA ... *does windmills around the moshpit*
I'm ready to overclock. I totally took everything out of my case today, cleaned it, neatened it, cleaned-off and re-applied new AC5 to cpu, and put it all back in. Earlier in my systems life I had tried using the built in MSI CoreCell OC ability but it seemed to cause more problems than net gains. Here's my system:

Intel P4 2.8 socket 478 (1mb cache) w/Zalman PureCopper HSF
MSI Neo2 LS Socket 478 w/865pe chipset
4x256mb Corsair ValueRAM PC3200
XFX 6600GT 8x AGP (Coolbits to 525/1100)
(2) WD Raptor 36.7gb in RAID 0
(1) WD Caviar 120gb for storage
SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
D-Link Wireless Card
SYBA Serial-ATA Controller Card
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2
Antec Sonata Case w/380watt psu, 2x120mm fans
All latest and up-to-date drivers for all components
PC Wizard 2004 for checking components' status

3DMark05 Score of 3262 @ 1024x768 (No AA/AF)

PCMark05 Score of 4045 @ my res. 1600x1220 (No AA/AF)
CPU - 4053, MEM - 4709, HDD - 6631, Graphics - 3774

Generally i run at about 31*C idle and 40*C under load (folding/games/music encryption). I'm only looking to hit the processor for now while i'm saving for Corsair XMS low latency RAM. I've read about people hitting 3.6 on air but i'd like to stay around 3.2-3.3. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as i am consulting other resources around the web for hints and tid-bits.

-Gweedo

Last edited by GWEEDOspeedo on Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:12 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Exciting isn't it? :) Well, I hope you enjoy your overclocking adventure and if you experience any bumps, we'll help.

So far, great start! Those are unusually low temps for a Prescott. You can thank your wonderful Zalman for that. :wink: Also looks like your cooling scheme is good to go.

Well, I would have told you to check the average OC for your CPU, but Cpudatabase is down for maintenance. No worries, though. Your 'scott should be able handle a 400-500MHz speed bump.

Another thing you should get into is your BIOS. Study it well. Get comfortable with it. Know what each setting does (well, you don't really have to, but it's good to know) so that if you kink anything, you know what to look for. If you already know your BIOS, great!

Then, you know you'll have to play with dividers for now. As you probably already know that Value RAM isn't prime for OC'ing and won't handle the desired FSB of at least 229MHz in a 1:1 - CPU (FSB):DRAM - ratio. By my calculations, you should be fine with a 6:5 ratio, which would give the RAM about 33MHz of headroom (200 / 6 = 33.33333, 33.3333 x 5 = 166.6667MHz @ stock 200MHz FSB).

I have no experience at all with Intel Motherboards or MSI motherboards, but I think you should be able to find the dividers easily. If not, I guess One4 could help. :wink: Anyway, once you get to them, employ the 6:5 dividers. If you can't find the certain dividers, try 5:4 and so on.

The procedure is pretty simple. With your new dividers now set, bump the CPU FSB 5MHz at a time. At every step, load your CPU to ensure total system stability. Programs like Prime95 & F@H. Right now, I don't think you should go any further than a 215MHz FSB, to keep yourself in suspense for your Corsair XMS RAM. That is, unless you don't want to splurg on new RAM.

I'll leave the voltage factor up to the pros - One4, Chums, and friends. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:36 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Woohoo, great advice OC, my job is easy now. Basically, what he said. Not much is going to be accomplished on the current RAM, so play around in the BIOS and get a feel for the options and layout. The real fun begins when your XMS arrives.

With voltages, I wouldn't even bother with them just yet. My goal right now would be to accomplish a light overclock so you can get your feet wet. Do you know how to find/adjust the dividers? If not, ask away - we're here to help and it's ALWAYS nice to add another overclocker to mix :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Run that rig for a day or two more under load (folding will do) to set the AS5. It takes a little time to get it to start working right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:37 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Wow i really appreciate the help you guys are lending out. I've upped the FSB to 215mhz making the CPU go to 2995.71mhz (according to PC Wizard). I didn't see the 6:5 or 5:4 ratios you describe, only 4:5 that comes close. I will let my rig fold continue folding overnight and then run some benchmarks in the morning... thanks again!

Yeah XMS RAM will be sweet once i finally get my hands on some :twisted: .

-Gweedo

EDIT: Forgot to post temps.. IDLE -> 31*C , FOLDING -> 41*C

Last edited by GWEEDOspeedo on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:21 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

New PCMark04 Benchmarks...

PCMark04 - 4221
CPU - 4371, MEM - 4780

You suggest i shouldn't push it much more for now and leave it as that due to the ValueRAM i have? Also, my XFX 6600gt was never overclocked since i'm retarded and forgot to hit 'Apply'. I tried those numbers i posted of 525/1100 and it had problems so i set it back to default.

-Gweedo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:32 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

GWEEDOspeedo wrote:
New PCMark04 Benchmarks...

PCMark04 - 4221
CPU - 4371, MEM - 4780

You suggest i shouldn't push it much more for now and leave it as that due to the ValueRAM i have? Also, my XFX 6600gt was never overclocked since i'm retarded and forgot to hit 'Apply'. I tried those numbers i posted of 525/1100 and it had problems so i set it back to default.

-Gweedo

Not that I wouldn't try it, but I'd rather continue on with the CorsairXMS - if you're gonna get it. You could push it, if you want, but that would take away the fun from when you get the RAM. Also looks like you found the dividers. :)

And about the video card, try small bumps of ~5MHz at a time, starting with the core, and test for stability. That means firing up a graphics intense game like HL2 and looking for any strange artifacts. You'll be safer that way. Big leaps is a no-go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:44 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I say push it. See, OCnoob knows why that valueRAM won't go that far, but you should see this first hand. Then, if you get that XMS and it goes further, you can actually say, "ya...that was worth the upgrade" and can suggest the same down the road to others.

I think it'll be safe as long as you leave the voltages alone on the memory. All i think it'll do I just not work at some point, then you back it off. I haven't lost products due to huge over-freq settings, but I have lost them to extended voltages needed to push the freq jumps.

Take a look at the memory on the video card. Look up the P/N on Google and see if you can get any good data on it. Some are quicker than others (look for "ns" and compare it to others) and some just may be unworthy of a good OC attempt. My opinion is that anything with Hynix is about as good as you'll get.

Baby steps always. A big jump in an attempt at a result doesn't give a lot of feedback to you on why it didn't work. And if you jump 5Mhz at a time and you get to a point you can't get it to work right, then it's just a simple 5Mhz jump back. Piece of cake:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:34 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Pushed a little more and now FSB = 225mhz, CPU = 3250mhz. Still sitting around 32*C idle and 42*C load.

PCmark04 - 4400
CPU - 4552, MEM - 4907

If i continue to push... will there be a sudden problem? Or do problems gradually appear? I'm surprised the temperatures are staying pretty still given i've pushed it up 350mhz.

-Gweedo