Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need advise upgrading a video card on older computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 am
Posts: 17
Hello everyone,
I have an older computer with this Motherboard ASUS P4SD-LA.
Currently I can have dual monitors running at the same time independent of each other.

This is the complete spec, if it helps. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00041640&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=408062

I would like to upgrade the video/graphics card to something better.
I am wondering if there are cards that works independently from the computer, like a card that has it's own processor, memory and can hold up to three monitors. The card should work without using any CPU/RAM from the computer.

Any suggestions? This computer is a little old so I am not sure what would work.

Thanks everyone,


AI


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need advise upgrading a video card on older computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:38 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]
Million Club 2+ [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 am
Posts: 1700
Audioiconx wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have an older computer with this Motherboard ASUS P4SD-LA.
Currently I can have dual monitors running at the same time independent of each other.

This is the complete spec, if it helps. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00041640&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=408062

I would like to upgrade the video/graphics card to something better.
I am wondering if there are cards that works independently from the computer, like a card that has it's own processor, memory and can hold up to three monitors. The card should work without using any CPU/RAM from the computer.

Any suggestions? This computer is a little old so I am not sure what would work.

Thanks everyone,


AI


A 4650/70 or 3870/50 in agp form are your best bets, but you will be CPU bound in anything you play.

And yes, they are/were made, just gotta find them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need advise upgrading a video card on older computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 am
Posts: 17
Logan wrote:
Audioiconx wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have an older computer with this Motherboard ASUS P4SD-LA.
Currently I can have dual monitors running at the same time independent of each other.

This is the complete spec, if it helps. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00041640&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=408062

I would like to upgrade the video/graphics card to something better.
I am wondering if there are cards that works independently from the computer, like a card that has it's own processor, memory and can hold up to three monitors. The card should work without using any CPU/RAM from the computer.

Any suggestions? This computer is a little old so I am not sure what would work.

Thanks everyone,


AI


A 4650/70 or 3870/50 in agp form are your best bets, but you will be CPU bound in anything you play.

And yes, they are/were made, just gotta find them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE



So just to be clear, you are saying any card I get including the once you mentioned will required or use the CPU right?

How much CPU resource?

Also I have about three PCI slots, can I installed more then one video card?

Like put two of the same video card in different PCI slots?

I will not be using this computer for games, just for music composition.

I like the multiple monitors because I can open different application in different monitors.

Eg: The piano Roll in one monitor and the Virtual Mixer in the next monitor.


Thanks for your help!


AI


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:26 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]
Million Club 2+ [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 am
Posts: 1700
CPU bound means that you current CPU will not be enough to push the GPU to its limits.

Think of it like this. Build an i7 i920 system and place a 9500GT in it and try to game any current game. While your CPU is a power house and can handle anything, your GPU is your biggest bottleneck.

For you, it would be just the oppisite. Even with a 3.2Ghz P4 with HT enabled, if you got and used a 3870, your frame rates wouldn't be anywhere near what they would be if you had C2D E8400 with the same card(all be it PCIe form and not AGP).

Do you understand now what it means to be CPU bound.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:39 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:06 am
Posts: 17
Logan wrote:
Do you understand now what it means to be CPU bound.


Yes and thanks for the explanation to help me understand.
However, because I will not be using this computer for any kind of graphic design or graphics intensive program, I'm wondering if it will be okay to have all these monitors hooked up.

AI


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]
Million Club 2+ [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:20 am
Posts: 1700
Audioiconx wrote:
Logan wrote:
Do you understand now what it means to be CPU bound.


Yes and thanks for the explanation to help me understand.
However, because I will not be using this computer for any kind of graphic design or graphics intensive program, I'm wondering if it will be okay to have all these monitors hooked up.

AI


If your are not gaming or doing CAD or some other type of GPU type app on your machine, they have a field day and get the 3450 or 3650 for 50 bucks or less and be in Multi monitor bliss.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rob and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group