Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: built-in OC on the asus A8N-SLI
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I just got one of these mobos for my new pc and it has a built in OC feature that does it "automatically" from 3 to 10%.

my question is: is this a legit way to OC the machine? I'm a newbie when it comes to this so this seems pretty easy and obvious, I'm running the mobo with a Athlon 64 3000, and a gig of corsair ddr-400 ram. I've got a thermaltake venus 12 cooler on the cpu in a wave master case and I'm replacing the top I/O face with an 80mm fan. (I want the fan to blow air OUT of the computer right? I am that much of a newbie)

Any help or tips would be appreciated, and if this onboard OC is crap advice on what to do would be really nice.
Thanks,
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:32 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Yes, it's a legitamite way to OC. But I wouldn't trust it if my life depended on that OC. Okay, a little exaggerated but I still wouldn't trust it. No "automagic" overclocking for me! :wink:

To tell you the truth, a 3%-10% increase in processor speed isn't going to give you a hefty power boost. However, this could be a good way to get your feet wet.

There are lots of good overclocking guides on the internet and most, if not all, are attainable through google.

BTW, the success of your overclocking adventures depends heavily on the processor, RAM and motherboard, so make sure all three are ready.