Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Has anyone OC'd on normal RAM?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Tomorrow my new CPU HSF comes in (http://xoxide.com/zalman-7700-cu-cpu-cooler.html), so I can start OC'ing my P4 3.0E.
However, I was wondering how far anyone else got with their attempts using regular Ram (like Crucial's normal stuff, not bargain no-name RAM).
I'm on a Chaintech 9CJS Zenith with the 800Mhz FSB, and 2gigs of normal RAM (4x512). I'm planning on ramping up the FSB, while using the modifier (5:4 etc...) to keep the RAM at normal speeds. Am I going to get anything out of this? Or should I just eBay the 2gigs and get a gig of Ballistix?
Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:34 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I have. You likely won't get very far. :(
Sometimes you can hit a few (10-20) Mhz faster, but that's generally it. Sometimes you can't go any higher. The Ballistix would be a better choice, but then you have to worry about selling the old RAM.

Good luck.

***edit***
oops, just noticed the part about the memory multiplier... Yeah, that's another option. You might be able to hit a descent OC with 5:4 ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ah, I'm not worried about selling the RAM. If I can't get where I want to go with this setup, I have no problem investing in the good stuff and then making back what I can by selling my current RAM.
But I would like to know if anyone has noticed a real seat-of-the-pants improvement by OC'ing. I've heard that the Prescott sucks around my speed (3.0ghz), but that it starts getting really good around 3.4+. I want things to open and load faster, and I didn't really notice any real difference by getting the second gig of RAM, which has led me here. If this is all just a benchmark contest, I won't dig too deep into it. I want tangible results, and I don't mind researching everything I have to in order to get where I want.
I just hope I'm not being unreasonable :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:48 pm 

IT all depends, I have 2x256 Kingmax Superram pc 2700, which has stock timmings of 7-3-3-2.5, at 166Mhz. I have it running at 190mhz and timmings of 6-3-3-2 stable, and hit 195mhz with the stock timmings. It boosted my 3dmark05 by about 100 marks. And this was cheap memory. I hear people are also having good luck with Patriot memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:54 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

In addition to having non-enthusiast RAM, having 2gigs may affect your results as well. This is especially true if you're running 4x512mb, though I suspect you've got 2x1g.

In any event, if moderate to heavy overclocking is your goal, then some high end RAM will suit you well. In addition, I would advise investing in a northbridge cooler on that mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:56 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

RallyMK1 wrote:
But I would like to know if anyone has noticed a real seat-of-the-pants improvement by OC'ing.

In games, yeah you should see a nice improvement. Other apps... Unless it's really CPU intensive, I doubt it.

Quote:
I've heard that the Prescott sucks around my speed (3.0ghz), but that it starts getting really good around 3.4+.

Well, I don't have much experience w/ Prescott. I *just* got one here at work (2.8Ghz) and it seems faster than my 2.4 Northwood at home (both running stock speeds), but then there is a 400Mhz difference. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:59 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

TWBalls wrote:
Well, I don't have much experience w/ Prescott. I *just* got one here at work (2.8Ghz) and it seems faster than my 2.4 Northwood at home (both running stock speeds), but then there is a 400Mhz difference. ;)

Shame on you, I know for a fact you have capable RAM on your hands. Tsk tsk :wink: :P :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
In addition to having non-enthusiast RAM, having 2gigs may affect your results as well. This is especially true if you're running 4x512mb, though I suspect you've got 2x1g.

No, it is 4x512, but how would that affect my results? I think I read that splitting the RAM into smaller chunks is faster than big chunks. Is that what you mean?
Also, I do have a northbridge heatsink and fan. It came with the mobo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:10 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

One4yu2c wrote:
Shame on you, I know for a fact you have capable RAM on your hands. Tsk tsk :wink: :P :)

Sadly, it appears my motherboard is incapable. :(
I had it at 3.0Ghz for a while, but every 3 or so days it would freeze/crash. :cry:
I may have to try and re-attach the Zalman cooler on my northbridge chip. I'll get some Arctic silver thermal epoxy instead of the AS Alumina this time. :)

Any recommendations on how to clamp it down? Last time I just turned the PC on it's side, applied the epoxy, slapped the heatsink on it, then stacked a bunch of quarters on it for weight. :lol:
Yeah, I know... Ghetto rigged. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:11 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

RallyMK1 wrote:
Also, I do have a northbridge heatsink and fan. It came with the mobo :)

I think he means a better performing aftermarket heatsink. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:16 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
I think he means a better performing aftermarket heatsink.

You should see the one that comes with it! It's about an inch high column of aluminum fins with a fan on top. Do they get much more hardcore than that? And if you're talking about the CPU heatsink and fan, that's coming in tomorrow (re: the link on my first post).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:16 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

The more sticks of RAM you have in your system, the harder it is to overclock. That's not to say it will be an issue in everyone's case, but you're asking 4 individual sticks to cooperate together in overclocking your rig. Using 1g as an example, it's highly likely you would achieve better results with 2x512mb as opposed to 4x256mb.

As for performance, I read one article that someone linked awhile back that benchmarked equal amounts of RAM in 2 stick variety and 4 stick variety. Indeed, the 4 sticks benchmarked ever so slightly higher, but the results were so negligeable that it shouldn't ever be a factor. Of more importance is that fact that 4 sticks introduces a higher chance of getting/developing a bad stick, and as mentioned above, hindered overclocking.

As for the northbridge cooling, I've read that the stock can hold you back on that mobo. Have a read on this link - [H]ardOCP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:18 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

RallyMK1 wrote:
You should see the one that comes with it! It's about an inch high column of aluminum fins with a fan on top. Do they get much more hardcore than that?

Apparently they do. Read that link I sent ;)

TWBalls wrote:
Any recommendations on how to clamp it down?

Chumly's your guy for all things modding. Last time I dinked around with changing a mobo's physical setup, it ended up being RMA'd. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok, it seems like they only had a problem with the NB once they got the FSB up to 290, which is way out of my league for right now. Although it's good to know where the Achilles heal is.
-5 points for me for not finding that article myself. I must check that site at least twice a day, and I only remember reading the review of my mobo on there before I bought it.
Shame on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:25 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

RallyMK1 wrote:
You should see the one that comes with it! It's about an inch high column of aluminum fins with a fan on top. Do they get much more hardcore than that?

I have this one: Zalman ZM-NB47J
This is another 'enthusiast' part: Swiftech MCX-159-R

Beyond that, there's watercooling. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Those chipset heatsinks don't look that much better than mine, but of course, what do I know? I know nothing! Plus, I've got to find something that'll fit next to this massive new CPU heatsink. It weighs 2 lbs! That's ridiculous.
Anyway, watercooling... of course. That's so I can use liquid nitrogen and get up to 5.12Ghz out of my P4 reliably, right? :roll:

Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:34 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

RallyMK1 wrote:
Anyway, watercooling... of course. That's so I can use liquid nitrogen and get up to 5.12Ghz out of my P4 reliably, right? :roll:

No, Watercooling is with water. LN2 is a different beast. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I know, I know, I know, I was joking. It was a reference to another thread... but I shouldn't be making fun of people anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:56 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

RallyMK1 wrote:
I know, I know, I know, I was joking.

I see. I thought the rolling eyes was a polite way of telling me to jump off a bridge. :)

Quote:
It was a reference to another thread... but I shouldn't be making fun of people anyway.

Ooh, which thread? And, why not make fun of people, it can be so much fun. :D
As you can see, this forum is filled with silly people. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

maxx wrote:
ELfudge wrote:
i have a Intel 3.2 ghz pushed to 5.12 ghz. im using liquid nitrogen for my water cooling kit, dont ask how much i spend on LN... :shock:

And then you woke up. :roll:

From page 3 of the CPU bragging thread in this section.

Quote:
As you can see, this forum is filled with silly people.

Ah, but I have learned from others' mistakes that silliness has a limit when no-one knows if you're being sarcastic or not, and being banned is not high on my list of stuff to do anytime soon.
Plus, I try to be a nice guy. :?