Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: **Help Make My First PC Build!**
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm 

Hello all,

Since I am new to PC gaming and building, I am requesting help from you guys, to build a $1500 gaming setup (approximately). I basically want to get this budget under or close to $1500. Having around $500 for the monitor, peripherals, and operating system. And the $1000 is for the actual PC build. After researching quite a lot on other forums, Youtube videos, and my friends' opinions, I have slowly yet surely pieced together what I think is the best setup for myself. As I said before, I am new to PC gaming and thus building PC's, so I have much to learn!

You may be thinking, what is this guy wanting out of his pc? Well, I am going to use my PC for games like BF4 which I am assuming are power hungry due to how amazing they look. I will also be using my PC for recording videos, editing them, and uploading to Youtube (not sure if these affect any decisions). I will lastly use my PC for browsing the internet and doing some work if necessary (I use my laptop).

I am not sure the style in which people ask questions on here, but i will just number them for easier answering. The numbered questions are high priority, so if you are to answer any questions, those would be these ones. If you answered them all AND shared your opinion on my WHOLE build, then you are AWESOME! My cheesy names for the questions are to slightly entertain you while I bore you with my newbie questions. I am sorry if they are lame...I did these at 1 am.

1.) Motherboard Mayhem!
Q: I am torn between the Asus 797-A (which I have included in my current build below all this) and the Gigabyte GA Z97X-SLI. I really like the look of the Asus, but it is more expensive than the Gigabyte, which is apparently the same in quality wise.

2.) Graphics Card Gamble!
Q: I heard great reviews and most of my friends recommended the EVGA GeForce GTX 760 (which is included in my current build below). But I was just wondering if I could get a GPU with better quality / same quality but at a lesser price.

3.) RAM Rumble!
Q: Again, like the GPU, I heard great reviews and most of my friends recommended the G.Skill Ripjaws, but I was wondering if there was something better (maybe of a different brand) that was of better quality, low profile, and cheaper?

4.) Case Calamity!
Q: Lastly, the case clash. I previously had the Corsair Carbide 300r Windowed edition on my build list, but then I found the NZXT Phantom 410, and it looks amazing! It is like $30 more than the Corsair, so I am not sure if it is worth it...money wise and quality wise.

Since I just listed some of the most important parts of a build, you may be wondering what do I want to keep? Well, first off, I would like to keep peripherals to Razer. But if you really truly believe there are better quality and cheaper products out there, then go right ahead. Secondly, the monitor took a bit to research and I think I am pleased with it (please do still tell me your opinion about it). Lastly, the operating system is pretty self-explanatory.

Final Notes:
I will be stationing the setup 5 metres max. away from my router/modem, so if you could suggest a wired network adapter wire thingy and a link, that would be fantastic. I heard the ethernet cable is the way to go for gaming! Oh, and a mouse pad (these are all personal preference, but I would like to hear your take on it). Honestly, anything else you suggest from a gamer to a gamer that would help me out while I travel on this journey, feel free to just let me know. I would be more than happy to accept opinions and reviews. Don't forget that the pcpartpicker list is below! 8)

Thank you so much,

DrivenMuffin

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($258.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($163.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($95.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($329.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($104.47 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($104.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: LG 23EA53V-P 23.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($71.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Headphones: Razer Kraken 7.1 Channel Headset ($102.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1571.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-20 21:27 EDT-0400

Post subject: Re: **Help Make My First PC Build!**
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:34 am 

Bump

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

1) Get a cheaper motherboard. In fact, beyond $120 to $150 or so, you're just paying for features that you may never use and designs that are fancy.
2) The Radeon R9 280X costs about the same and generally performs better
3) Corsair or Crucial are other go-to brands if you want to find somewhere else to look
4) A case is a case. Get one that you'd like to look at with at least an intake and exhaust fan mount (and USB3.0 on the front)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:00 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
1) Get a cheaper motherboard. In fact, beyond $120 to $150 or so, you're just paying for features that you may never use and designs that are fancy.
2) The Radeon R9 280X costs about the same and generally performs better
3) Corsair or Crucial are other go-to brands if you want to find somewhere else to look
4) A case is a case. Get one that you'd like to look at with at least an intake and exhaust fan mount (and USB3.0 on the front)

1.) Can you suggest a mobo?
2.) The Radeon R9 280X works only with AMD CPUs and I have an Intel, so you must not have seen my build.
3.) Again, another link?
4.) Phantom 410 is sick.

Please provide further info next time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:47 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

DrivenMuffin wrote:
2.) The Radeon R9 280X works only with AMD CPUs and I have an Intel, so you must not have seen my build.

This is NOT true. The AMD GPU's will work with Intel or AMD CPU's. Which is why all modern Intel chipset based mobo's support SLI AND Crossfire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:52 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

DrivenMuffin wrote:
1.) Can you suggest a mobo?
3.) Again, another link?
4.) Phantom 410 is sick.

1) I can suggest the 40 something motherboards from ASRock and Gigabyte Newegg has in stock. It really depends on your needs and wants.
2) No it doesn't. AMD GPUs work with Intel boards and as Quakindude mentioned, you will find Intel boards that support Crossfire.
3) Refer to #1 (only replace the companies with Corsair and Crucial)

Sometimes I feel like handing out fish. Sometimes I feel like handing out the fishing rod.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:18 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:

Sometimes I feel like handing out fish. Sometimes I feel like handing out the fishing rod.

I rent boats...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:35 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

DrivenMuffin wrote:
The Radeon R9 280X works only with AMD CPUs and I have an Intel, so you must not have seen my build.

Don't listen to the person that told you that ever again.
I've been building my own since the 286 cpu was in vogue. I've used Voodoo, Matrox, ATI (now AMD) and nVidia cards on both Intel and AMD platforms. No problems at all.
The only time it could have mattered was early on when SLI and Crossfire were first brought out. The mobo chipsets hadn't incorporated both systems yet. AND that was also only if you were going to use two or more video cards on the mobo. It was not an issue if using only one video card.