Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Over clocking CPU confution.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

awhile back this section on the form asked which is the best CPU to overclock. And most people said that the AMD Mobile XP are the best chips.
But i looked at the specs for those chips and they are based on the Barton Core. The Maxiium PC book "Build the dream PC" I think" siad that Barton Core XPs are the worst chips to overclock. So there is a confution here.

Is Barton Core CPUS best for overclocking??? For both Mobile and Not Mobile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:50 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I haven't read the book, so I can't comment specifically. Where the Barton's really shone initially was in the 2500+ variety. At first, they came semi-multiplier unlocked and could be overclocked to 3200+ specs with relative ease. At the time, that represented a significant savings. Eventually, they started locking their chips, but it's still not terribly difficult to crank the frontside bus on one to 200 and still get 3200+ specs - it's just not as significant as it once was. Furthermore, things pretty much topped out at 3200+, included Bartons sold at that speed (non-overclocked). There's not much headroom past that.

With the mobile Bartons, those are mulitplier unlocked, use less volts, and run cooler. Many people have gotten really decent overclocks on them and in the XP line, they've replaced the standard Barton's as the OCing chip of choice.

It's really old news nowadays, with the affordability of A64 and the availability of Winchesters (90nm). In AMD land, THOSE are the chips to get.

And FWIW, having owned both a Barton 2500+ (still do) and a 2.4C chip, I found much more satisfaction in overclocking the Northwood than I did the Barton.