Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with overclocking
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

hi guys. I have a p4 3.0 with HT, also I have this gigabyte motherboard (GA-81875/GA-81k1100). I would like to overclock my processor to run at 3.2. Nothing drastic, just a little bit of improvement and also to learn. How can I do that. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:59 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

You need to increase your frontside bus from 200 (800 effective) to 213 or 214 (852-856 effective). This is going to depend largely on the quality of your RAM (an latencies), heat, and voltages. Best case scenario is you make the adjustment in the BIOS and you're good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:10 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

thanks One4yu2c. Can u please elaborate more about the ram and latencies and voltages. I dont know anything about overclocking and I am drawing a blank. Thank again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:15 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

For the best chances at overclocking, you want at least quality PC3200 RAM. Depending on how tight the latencies run (the tightest being 2-2-2-5), you may need to relax these a bit in the BIOS, or have it auto detect.

As for voltages, the higher you overclock, the more it may become necessary to increase both your DDR voltage and vCore to keep your system stable. The tradeoff is that higher voltages translates into more stress and heat.

Getting your processor to 3.2GHz is not a huge overclock so assuming the RAM is decent, there shouldn't be much problem getting there. One word of caution is that you want to be sure your AGP/PCI bus is locked at 66/33. Otherwise, when overclocking your CPU you'll also be overclocking any AGP and/or PCI peripherals you have installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

thanks I get it better picture now. About the ram. I have 2 sticks of pc3200 one its samsung and the other one corsair. Both are 512 running on dual channel. I ran memtest for about an hour and it didnt detect anything so I think I am ok. Also I am planning on buying a zalman heatsink and fan so I dont think I will have much problem with the heat I might produce. On a side note, will the paste that comes with the zalman kit be ok or is it better to get arctic silver 5. Also, I appreciate the tip about the agp/pci bus. Thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:00 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Zalman's heatsinks are awesome, it's hard to beat their noise/performance ratio. As for their paste, it should suit you just fine. If you want the absolute best, spend a few more bucks on Arctic Silver 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:42 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

deivys wrote:
thanks I get it better picture now. About the ram. I have 2 sticks of pc3200 one its samsung and the other one corsair. Both are 512 running on dual channel. I ran memtest for about an hour and it didnt detect anything so I think I am ok.

Well, is the Corsair stick Value Ram? If so, then you'll probably have a hard time reaching that 214/215 FSB without very relaxed latencies.

If it's rated for PC3500+ or have latencies of somewhere around 2-3-3-6 or lower, then your Samsung stick will hold you back on your OC'ing. The Samsung isn't geared for overclocking.