All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Common Prescott Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:26 pm 

Just upgraded my system to:

Antec Sonata Case
Abit Ic7-max 2
1 gig of corsair ram (dual channel)
3.0E proc
52xcd/rw, 16x dvd combo drive (don't need dvd burner now)

Kept my old:
ATI 9500 (ok for now)
60 gig WD HD
80 gig Maxtor HD
ATI tv Wonder Pro

Question one: Any thoughts or suggestions on my current setup (excluding videocard. I know) mainly used as media center and gamin pc.

&

Question two: It has been running for one week so the thermal pad should be settled and the cpu should be cooling as expected but my idle temp is around 50 degrees celcius which seems high, want to overclock but that temp is throwing me off, just looking for second opinion before I atempt anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:50 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Prescotts run hotter, you're in normal range. If you'd like to keep your temps a little lower, look into an aftermarket cooler and thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5). You'll especially want to do this if you're considering moderate to heavy overclocking.

As far as suggestions on your system, you seem set for now. The obvious ones you've already commented on (video card and DVD burner). I don't know that it'd be worth the money, but you could consider selling that Prescott and getting a Northwood. The benefits are twofold, in that (A) Prescotts don't really start to shine until about the 3.6GHz range and above - lower speeds (such as 3.0GHz) a Northwood will outperform it and (B) you'll almost assuredly get better overclocking results with a Northwood on s478.

Again, I don't know that the cost would be justified as we're talking about negligeable performance results.

Aside from the above, bigger hard drive and an Audgiy 2 ZS come to mind, as well as quality speakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:34 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Quote:
Question one: Any thoughts or suggestions on my current setup (excluding videocard. I know) mainly used as media center and gamin pc.

Looks good to me.

Quote:
Question two: It has been running for one week so the thermal pad should be settled and the cpu should be cooling as expected but my idle temp is around 50 degrees celcius which seems high, want to overclock but that temp is throwing me off, just looking for second opinion before I atempt anything.

50 degrees Celcius isn't bad - for a prescott. However, I'd be more concerned about the load temps; if they're strangely high, I'd advise you to beef up the cooling before overclocking. I'm sure the Sonata has your airflow done and over with, so I'm talking about a new HSF.

Also, make sure your RAM is ready for the task. Everything else looks fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:26 pm 

Thanks guys. It's ironic as when I posted this you two were the ones that I hoped would respond, have been reading here and at the delphi forums for a long time and I must say I admire your work.

Will consider the northwood, I just figured since the Prescott, being that it does better at higher speeds may have slightly more headroom in overclocking. in fact I may see how far this one goes before I attempt to take it back.

I appreciate you guys' input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:02 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Heh, OCModerate (I'm changing his name) and myself pounce all over this folder. :)

It's not a bad idea at all to see how far you can push the Prescott before making a decision. Like I said, real world performance is going to be negligeable - that was basically a nitpicking suggestion as you already covered the major points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:32 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Hey, if I remember anything, the Prescotts tend to be a bit lenient when it comes to OCing. It might just reach your satisfactory level (unless it's unrealistic :P).

Also keep in mind the Prescotts aren't half bad when it comes to games.

And... Of course you were expecting us - who else? :)