Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:16 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I try to do my research as best I can when I make these kinds of decisions...That's reassuring!

So, with the OCZ Gold Edition Rev2 Dual Channel Kit that you linked to, and the mobo/proc combo I have, I should have no problem reaching my goal, or at least get into the 3GHz range?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:56 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

3.4GHz will not be a given, but 3GHz should be. Of course, nothing is ever guaranteed in overclocking, but as I said, I'd be highly surprised if you didn't manage to hit the 3GHz range with that combo (especially with the help of us OCers on this forum).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:39 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Xigz wrote:
I try to do my research as best I can when I make these kinds of decisions...That's reassuring!

So, with the OCZ Gold Edition Rev2 Dual Channel Kit that you linked to, and the mobo/proc combo I have, I should have no problem reaching my goal, or at least get into the 3GHz range?

Looks like some good research so far. :wink:

A 250mhz fsb on a 2.4c looks to be very much possible. (sorry, 3.0ghz seems very repetitive right now.)

Need some results? Look here

edit: opps :/

Last edited by OCNoob on Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:35 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ocnoob wrote:
Need some results? Look here

Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Diagnostic Information

An error occurred while evaluating the expression:

#Form.CPUType#

Error near line 2, column 33.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error resolving parameter FORM.CPUTYPE

The specified form field cannot be found. This problem is very likely due to the fact that you have misspelled the form field name.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (#Form.CPUType#), occupying document position (2:32) to (2:45) in the template file /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/CPUdb/I_ShowIntel.cfm.

Date/Time: Thu Oct 28 09:31:06 2004
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 4.0)
Remote Address: 169.244.70.148
HTTP Referrer: http://maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=20

Thats what i saw mainly when i clicked on your link there...what's up with it?

And...ok. so that seems to be what I wanna do now. That RAM is my new target. Hmm...I guess I'll see if I can find a real cheap price on Pricegrabber.com. Anyone else have any suggestions on some good prices? I'd do newegg if I knew they were selling it very competitvely right now but I havent had a chance to shop around yet. So, any pricing info would be great. I like newegg though, if money wasnt an issue, I'd go straight there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:06 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I don't know that you'll beat their price, unless you want to consider used RAM. [H]ardOCP's For Sale forum is a good place to search for deals (EBay looks to be too high).

As for OCModerate's link, just click on the 'CPU Database' link in the left column and then do a search for 2.4C processors (Here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:29 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm seeing a lot of 3.6's and a lot in that general area...and I'm also seeing a lot of Abit boards, including the IC7. That's reassuring. About that RAM, so newegg is selling it lower than most places right now? It seems like I can't search on pricegrabber.com too well for a dual kit lik newegg has. And that dual kitt newegg has for 275 is a really good deal. Can you find any lower prices for a dual kit like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:55 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Newegg is the lowest I've been able to find for that kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:56 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Alright then. Now I'll just have to find that money to buy it. I hope there's no other RAM that would work just as well for cheaper, but I'll be happy with this. It looks like you done a lot of research for this RAM. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:31 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Before I get the new RAM, I'm going to try to kick the crap out of what I have right now. So far I've managed to make my 166MHz RAM hit 225MHz from 166MHz. It's PC2700 (333MHz effective) and I'm using it with a 2.4C proc with 200FSB (or 800 effective) and I'm using the 1:1 dividers. so im at 902 effective FSB with PC2700 RAM. Isn't that crazy? I'm using 1 stick of 512MB Corsiar XMS and one stick of 512MB Kingston HyperX both with heat spreaders and both are PC2700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:44 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Interesting situation...

Could you list the specs of each stick of RAM?

I think one could be holding back the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I wish I knew the latencies of each of them, but I am absolutely sure that they are both high poerformance, comparable to each other, PC2700, one is kingston hyperX the other is Corsiar XMS, both with heatspreaders, and both are 333MHz effective at stock. I sdont have time right this second, but you may want to look at kington.com or corsairs website for the specs. That may help. I'll check out the model number on the tag after I get back if you can't find the definite specs.

EDIT: BTW those are aluminum heatspreaders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:44 am 
Celeron
Celeron

Did a little searching and came up with these:

Corsair Stick

Kingston Stick

By judging latencies, I can say that the Kingston can offer higher performance over the Corsair. However, latencies can be decieving. :?

Try overclocking with one stick and see which one comes out with the higher speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:49 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 401&depa=0

I think THIS is the corsair stick I have. I'll check the label later. As for the kingston... I don't think that there is either low latency models and regular ones, so everything of that PCrating will be the same. So theres only one kind of PC2700 hyperX. So I think thats probably the stick I have, that you listed for the kington. I have my latencies loosened as much as possible to allow rom for the OCing I've been doing with them anyway...they're at 3668 i think. But with my old mobo and proc in which the FSB matched the RAM, I had the latencies as tight as possible and OCed a decent amount while the dividers were set to 1:1...