Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Verto GeForce FX 5500
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Last night I went to Best Buy (ugh) and got myself a PNY industries Verto GeForce FX 5500 gpu card. I installed it and It more than doubled my framerates. i was at 20-25fps before the new card. Now i'm at 35-50-60fps depending on what game is running.
Ok, I know this isn't the most top of the line GPU out there, but it was in my price range. I was wondering how to overclock it, and any other options I could tweak to make it run better. I mainly just want to increase/stabilize my framerates. I will be checking for newer drivers later tonight. Here are my spec's
i also think I shoulf add that my mobo doesnt have AGP so I got a PCI card. :shock: please dont flame me for that... :(

eMachine Factory made
Intel Celeron 1.3Ghz slightly OCed to 1.5Ghz
Windows XP Home (no service packs)
(I also realize that this isn't the best system)

i also can't figure out how to run nView so I can use 2 monitors with 2 desktops. i just want to play CounterStrike and talk to people on AIm at the same time without having to minimize CS and lag up my comp. I'll work on that later also. if any of you are familiar with nView, feel free to give suggestions.

thanks for any input

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:15 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Your system is fine as long as it does what you want it to without headache.

Install at least SP1, I would recommend SP2.

Go to Display in control panel, advanced, and then click on the Nvidia controls (assuming you have the newest reference drivers installed...if not install them, they should be 61.77 www.nvidia.com). There should be an nView option, and you have to enable it. From there you set up the dual displays as you want them to. It would be preferably you had dual-heads on your card that support dual displays or at least two nvidia cards, but I believe nView is just an extension of the windows multi-display object...thus it will work with non-nvidia cards.

Games are very dynamic. I have a GeForce 6800 GT 256mb card and I get framerates anywhere from 25fps all the way to 100+fps in Doom3. 30-60fps is a good range to shoot for, so if you're getting those rates then cool-moe-dee.

Your eMachine isn't going to kill the latest and greatest, but you seem to be making do with what you have. If you still enjoy it (but maybe you think it can do better) then that's all you need to worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks for replying, I thought nobody would. I will be DLing SP1 and maybe SP2 (want to wait it out cause of any possible bugs) as soon as I get my wireless working again. I also downloaded the registry hacks that NVidia provides to overclock it, it helps, but every now and then it skips frames, so I think I need to turn it down a bit. I'm running Counter-Strike:Source at about 30-35 fps at the lowest settings, so I think my proc is my bottleneck. I'm upgrading that with my next paycheck (2.8 and maybe a new mobo that has a higher FSB) So I should be alright. I really only need this card to run Half Life 2. O-M-G that game is gonna rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:54 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

you proc is the obvious bottleneck. i'd strongly suggest looking for a motherboard cpu combo. get something like a 2.4 with a mobo and it wont run you too much. you;ll see a dramatic increase in performance. a 2.4 will be about a 100% increase in cpu and then with a new mobo you can get some nice stuff like usb2 and firewire. maybe a christmas gift :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:45 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Try looking for a faster Intel proc that supports your current mobo. Chaning and upgrading a mobo is a major upgrade and if you do that you may want to consider just getting a new system.

It's an Emachine so don't expect much, but you should be able to find a full P4 proc that supports the FSB and socket of your mobo without much trouble. You just gotta find out what your mobo supports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:42 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

yeah, I was gonna upgrade the proc first and then the mobo. I guess I could wait a little while and get a combo deal... but I'm very impatient...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:15 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Having patience will save you a lot of money down the road. If you're happy with your system now, then stick with it. Otherwise consider finding a proc compatible with your system. I wouldn't make any other major upgrade than that.

I'm not a huge fan of bundles.

Save your money and budget for a new system when you can afford it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:33 am 
Team Member
Team Member

If I were to go with a new proc, I have a Celeron socket 478, would I be able to switch it out with P4? Are they just interchangable? Or should I just stick with a Celeron and get a 2.8 or something? I plan on getting a new mobo so I can overclock it (I'm getting a water cooling system if I do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:37 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You 'should' be able to.

As long as the Socket 478 board you have supports the P4 voltages then it should be fine. The Celeron and the P4 are the same chip, the celeron just has disabled cache and is usually about 18 months behind the P4 releases.