Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trying to Learn
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well I built a new system over the spring and now that its been broken in a little, I would like to over-clock it a little bit... here are the specs:

ABIT IC-7G
2.8 Prescott P4 (with stock cooler for now)
512 of dual channel Kingston Hyper X ram (soon to be 1 gig)
Nvidia 5700 ultra (soon to be 6800 GT)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Couple of SeaGate Sata hard drives
6 cooling fans on an adjustbale fan regulator
X-Dreamer II case

Before I get my new ram and video card in, I'll be pulling everything out, painting the inside of the case (bling effect) and redrilling some of the airflow holes for better flow. What I wanted to ask is, is there a nice writeup somewhere about overclocking? I want to push the envelope a little bit... I'm not looking for neck breaking speed, just a little better performance. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:12 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

The easiest and most painless way is to see if your system board has one of those automatic overclocking options where when you hit 100% CPU usage it'll ramp up the FSB slightly. That would be the best way to get a little more performance without much risk to the hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:26 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Flytrap, that's just about the worst way to learn how to overclock, am i correct?

Manual overclocks is where you'll learn the most. You get to manage temps, FSB's, maybe multi's, agp/pci locks, cpu:mem dividers, voltages, etc.

Step one would be to get to know your hardware. Figure out where your idle/load temps are, examine your cooling setup, and to know what things do in the BIOS.

Step two would be to know how to OC. OC'ing is a simple process with many factors in it. You can google "overclocking guide" and a site like this pops up. Read everything carefully.

Step three: Once you know what you're risking, and you're comfortable with them, go on ahead and slowly OC.

Step four: Stress your processor and record/remember what the load temps are. If there was a crash, back down the OC slowly, until you find the sweet spot.

note: god... we need a sticky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

what load times are you talking about?
windows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well I went into ABIT's soft menu and cranked it up to 2.92 ghz (2.8 stock) and the mobo wouldn't recognize my hard-drives. How wierd is that? And as soon as I brought the clock speed back down to 2.8, everything worked fine. I am going to buy a new Mobo friday and try OCing it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:59 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

GoingOffRoading wrote:
well I went into ABIT's soft menu and cranked it up to 2.92 ghz (2.8 stock) and the mobo wouldn't recognize my hard-drives. How wierd is that? And as soon as I brought the clock speed back down to 2.8, everything worked fine. I am going to buy a new Mobo friday and try OCing it again.

Do you have reason to believe your mobo is faulty besides the quirky overclocking incident above? I ask because if you start replacing components everytime an OC goes south, it's going to be a much more costly affair.

You have a decent mobo, so unless there's another compelling reason to replace it, I'd urge you to tweak what you've got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:31 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well my little shit head of a brother ripped out the 10/100s socket so I was hoping to get that back... plus a buddy of mine wants to buy the old mobo and have me install it for the price of a brand new IC7G...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:07 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

GoingOffRoading wrote:
well my little shit head of a brother ripped out the 10/100s socket so I was hoping to get that back... plus a buddy of mine wants to buy the old mobo and have me install it for the price of a brand new IC7G...

ROFL, go for it.

Quote:
what load times are you talking about?
windows?

Load temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:12 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

GoingOffRoading wrote:

Make sure you have everything in tact. This is awkward even for a broken IC7-G. Sounds like a frequency problem with the PCI bus of some sort.

Did you lock your PCI/AGP frequencies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:52 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

no.. AGP and PCI were upped my 1 or 2 points each... like from 400 mhz to 401 or something (or whatever stock numbers are)... not a significant bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:58 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

uhh... since the PCI/AGP locks are FREE, and can do no harm, i dont see why you shouldn't lock them. Also, some devices are sensitive to even the littlest bump in frequencies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:03 pm 

ocnoob wrote:
Flytrap, that's just about the worst way to learn how to overclock, am i correct?

Maybe I was thinking overclocking for AOL users?

He did say just a little better performance and for some strange reason I figured that'd be the absolute most foolproof way to get it, but yes, you're right, there's no knowledge/experience gained from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

well I locked the PCI and AGP clocks and cranked the 2.8 to 2.9... same probelm as before where the computer won't recognize my Sata hard-drives (I only have Sata HDs). I'm going to swap in a new ic7G and see if the problem continues.