Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tips on OCin' a Barton 2500+
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:28 pm 

I'm using the Zalman CNPS 3100+ heatsink/fan with a big ol' 120MM fan a friend gave me (yeah it's keeping the system cooler AND quieter) on an overclocked 2500+ barton. The motherboard is the Asus a7v880, and the system temp tends to hover around 111 deg Fahrenheitt (44 Celsius). I've Oc'd this thing by 10% up to a 2.0 Ghz PC to get these results, but I've heard I can get all the way up to 20% for a 2.2ghz (equivalent of 3200+). When I tried this, my system locked up every 2 seconds....anyone got some suggestions?
This CPU is new, maybe I tried Occin'g too far too fast?
Thankx guyz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:14 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Two or three factors:

1) You took it too fast. Taking baby steps is the key to success. MPC recommends a 5mhz fsb uppage every step, and so would I. But, since many a noob have turned their 2500+'s to 3200+'s in mere seconds, i dont see why you shouldn't either.

2) Your FSB is too high. Your VIA chip probably does NOT have AGP/PCI locks, and the 33mhz FSB OC has turned up the frequency of your AGP/PCI cards as well. If there ARE locks, fix the frequencies. Then we can weed out the problem.

3) You could have maxxed out your chip, but this is unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:06 am 

Oc'ing this 2500 to 3200+ is very common, as I read dozens of testimonials about people that have done it before I bought the chip.

As for going too far at once, I thought the same thing. But as ya mentioned, I'm a n00b (heh, sorry) and the only way I knew to OC was to use Asus' own BIOS setting that gave the option to go up 5,10, or 20%. Yeah, I prolly should've started with just 5%, but my system has been very stable at 10, figured I'd try 20% this weekend.

Thankx dude. Any thing else on cooling or other Oc'ing methods I should know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:36 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

OCNoob's got you pretty much covered here, he's gonna have to change his name soon to OCModerate.

Looking at the specs for your board, you do have the option of an AGP/PCI lock. That's going to be critical, as leaving unlocked will cause your graphics card and any PCI peripherals to be OC'd as well. Specifically on your board, under the 'Configure System Frequency/Voltage' heading, make sure 'Asynchronous Frequency' is disabled.

My advice is to manually OC your system, don't let Asus handle it. I'm not a fan of automatic overclocking. By tweaking your settings yourself, you'll have a much better chance at success and stability. Under that same category above, set your 'AI Overclock Tuner' to manual and adjust your 'CPU Frequency' appropriately. Setting it at 200 (400fsb effective) will yield you 3200+ speeds, though it may take some further tweaking to get it stable at that speed. It's also going to be highly dependent on the quality of your RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:56 am 
Max [Ph]otographer
Max [Ph]otographer

I've had my Barton 2500+ (1.83ghz) @ 2299mhz stable for a few weeks now.

What I've done:

Step one, In about 10mhz FSB increments I got it to 3200+ (2200mhz.) It was quite stable there.

Step two, realizing that my CPU temps were still quite low, I looked into the possiblities. I then decided on increasing my CPU and DIMM voltages, by 0.175 and 0.200 respectivley. I then increased my FSB in 5mhz increments to 210mhz. At 210mhz I got a BSOD, so I lowered it to 209mhz, and have been stable ever since.

My current CPU temp is 51C and my mainboard temp is about 30C.

Be warned though, these are temps while the computer is sitting in a room at about 70F. I've seen temps go way up as the room heats up.

Dan O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:30 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

One4u2c wrote:
OCNoob's got you pretty much covered here, he's gonna have to change his name soon to OCModerate.

:lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:50 am 

One4yu2c wrote:

Looking at the specs for your board, you do have the option of an AGP/PCI lock. That's going to be critical, as leaving unlocked will cause your graphics card and any PCI peripherals to be OC'd as well. Specifically on your board, under the 'Configure System Frequency/Voltage' heading, make sure 'Asynchronous Frequency' is disabled.

My advice is to manually OC your system, don't let Asus handle it. I'm not a fan of automatic overclocking. By tweaking your settings yourself, you'll have a much better chance at success and stability. Under that same category above, set your 'AI Overclock Tuner' to manual and adjust your 'CPU Frequency' appropriately. Setting it at 200 (400fsb effective) will yield you 3200+ speeds, though it may take some further tweaking to get it stable at that speed. It's also going to be highly dependent on the quality of your RAM.

I'm using Corsair Value select (2X256MB). Nice litttle dual channel modules they are. I just tried to OC this thing by 20% using Asus' standard BIOS tweak, and I was met with the same system instability I encountered when I tried this the first time. I didn't see the AI overclock tuner setting in the BIOS, but I did see "CPU multiplier" (I think that's what it was). Is there something else I'm missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:09 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Look at the pictures on this website:

BIOS Screenies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

AS5 (Arctic Silver 5)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:15 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

wow i never had any problems OCing my 2500+ to 2.2ghz, even with stock cooling, and AS3(yeah remember that stuff hehe) all i did was change the FSB from 166 to 200, and i uped my vcore slightly