Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What's the easiest and best processor to overclock?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:02 pm 

Well I guess the topic says it all... but here's the deal; I'd like to overclock a processor and since I'm building a machine and still haven't bought the processor, I'd like to know the best option I have to OC, also I'd like to make perfectly clear that I have never done this before (OCing), so it would be great if you could give me not only your advise on which processor to buy, but also the info I'll need in order to overclock it.

BTW I'm not planning on buying one of those top-of-the line/edge-technology processors that are almost over a thousand bucks, I just want an average 2-3Ghz that I can get the most of, other than that, any suggestions, comments, etc will be welcome.

ThAnX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:10 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

i'm sure you'll get a lot of 2.4c/2.8c recommendations, so ill suggest something else.

2.26ghz P4 on a 533 fsb. if you get pc-3200 ram, you can get a theoretical 3.4ghz if you hit the 200mhz fsb (from 133mhz). theres little possibility that you'll hit this, though. i guess the least you can get is ~2.8ghz with stock cooling. (though it's not 100% possible.)

if you've got the money, then go with the 2.4c/2.8c and enthusiast ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:03 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

There's good reason why you'll get Northwood (P4C) recommendations - they're decently priced, perform well at stock, and have lots of headroom for overclocking. I learned to drive to a stick shift on a very forgiving truck when it came to switching gears and not stalling - the Northwoods, in a sense, are very forgiving and great procs to learn how to overclock on.

Intel Camp
2.4C or 2.6C (depending on budget)
Asus P4P800 SE or Abit IC7 MaxII
PC3200 to PC4000 (again, depending on budget)

AMD Camp
Mobile Barton 2400+ or 2500+
Asus A7N8X-E or Abit NF7-S
PC3200

AMD will give you a less expensive entry cost and you'll get your feet wet overclocking. For the absolute lowest cost, that's the direction I would head. Those mobiles have been tearing it up and had they been available back when I owned a Barton rig as my main setup, I would have loved to play with one.

For sheer MHz overclocking satisfaction, spend a little more and head towards Intel. Cost of entry is higher on each component, and I really would advise a minimum of PC3500, though you could get away with PC3200. The total price is higher, but it feels good to push a 2.4GHz proc well past the 3.0GHz mark. While not guaranteed, with the right components you should have no trouble hitting 3.2 or 3.3GHz.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:00 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Is there any advantage to going with a mobile barton over a 64, or xp? I've heard of people using Xeons over pntiums too, but couldnt figure out why... I would spend the extra money and get an AMD 64 +3200 or +3000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:30 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Is there any advantage to going with a mobile barton over a 64, or xp?[...]I would spend the extra money and get an AMD 64 +3200 or +3000.

In this particular case, he's looking for an OCing chip with a budgeted price. In terms of cost, they rank as follows:
XP
Mobile
A64

In terms of stock performance (clock for clock):
A64
XP
Mobile

On the AMD side, the mobiles are an OCer's dream. Multiplier advantage, uses less volts to start with, overclocking headroom, and priced very comparably to standard XPs.