Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Case recommendation...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:53 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok here's the deal folks, I have this first gen i5 760 system, runs great with a Radeon 6670, 8Gb RAM, mATX mobo, and a few* hard drives, basically my networks file dumping ground. I'd like to add a couple more HDDs into it but I'm limited in space in an Antec Sonata III case (and I hate working in it by the way). Considering changing enclosures but with the vast array of whats out there...I'm lost!

My request to the seasoned builders is this, recommend me a decent case that can hold say half a dozen 3.5 inch drives, look half decent but not garish and doesn't cost an arm and a leg...usually I'm building in HAF 912/922/932 etc. a HAF case for this purpose would be wasted.

Post subject: Re: Case recommendation...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's see...
Corsair Carbide 500R Mid ATX
NZXT Phantom Full ATX
NZXT Phantom 530 Mid ATX

Try those out. I basically filtered by Corsair, NZXT, and Antec. Silverstone, Cooler Master and Fractal Design are good companies. The rest I sort of just don't bother with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:27 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

In my Silverstone PS10, I was able to fit five drives in the plastic sleds. You could put up to four more in the optical bays with adapter brackets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:59 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ended up with the Carbide 500R, nice case and quite roomy. Thanks for that recommendation! Building into it was easy as pie and now she's (kinda) running 5 3TB drives and a 320Gb boot drive (no need for SSD and the 320 was a recycled part). However in the process of set up etc. I quickly found out the Antec Earthwatts 500 watt PSU was weak, it kind of well...died. Probably going to pick up a Corsair CX750 semi modular on the way home tonight. Also going to hunt down in my collection an IDE HDD that I can use as the boot drive instead of the SATA one and then replace the 320Gb with another 3TB drive and have the whole HDD array lined up perfectly on the SATA controller.

Now to seriously start planning the rebuild of my primary gaming rig...the old i7 950 is showing it's age :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Here's the case I went with... Seems that it's got features right in between the Phantom and the HAF cases:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product